info on train shows

railBuilderDhd

I wanted to know if the traveling train shows come to town often. I’ve just started my model railroad and there is going to be a show in town at the end of the month. I’m working on what my layout will be so I can purchase as much as I can at the show to save money (if I find deals) but I’m not sure if I’ll have my layout done before the end of the month. With the holidays and all and I do not want to rush the planning I’m not sure the plan will be done before the show. I want to know if I shouldn’t worry because the shows come to town often and it’ll not be a year or a long time before the next show comes. Also, I’m I over expecting to get good deals at the show? I’m in the Northern Virginia area if that helps with knowing the frequencies of train shows in the area.
dhd

Like buying anything anywhere, you should have an idea of what items cost beforehand. No use paying $100.00 for a loco that you can get elsewhere for $60.00! Check out online sites for prices of things you may be interested in before going to a show. Maybe eBay too. Good luck!

All train shows are different. Usually they are annual events, but some are more often. You would have to ask someone familiar with the specific show you are interested in.

I'm sure you will have some idea of some of the things you'll need, so you can go to the show, look for some stuff and get the rest later. You'll also be able to pickup fliers of other upcoming shows in your area and find out when that show comes back.

The show is being held from "Greenberg" on Dec 29 + 30 and I've been shopping prices on items I think I would like to buy.

You might check with your LHS and find out what shows usually are in the area & when they are scheduled. Most shows are annual, but there may be several different ones that come around within a reasonable driving distance at different times.
It is best to know what & when you want to model because no matter how good the deal is, a modern diesel just won't look right on a 1890's layout.:D

I went to the Greenburg show that was here in Jersey at the end of November. I wasn't impressed at all. I honestly didn't see any deals on newer type stuff. If you were looking for stuff that was fairly old and not in the best shape then yea you could find some deals. But it was like going to one big building of retail stores under 1 roof.

Found good deals before.

Ive found some good deals In Allentown Pa .They have a pretty good selection. you can get info at www.lehighvalleytrainmeet.com. I guess its all what your looking for. but Ive done well there. greenburgs is also hit or miss. Depends what dealers come.

I've always found that a train show run by a Club is a lot better place to go.
Usually not many retail stores. Most are individuals that have changed scales(up to HO or down to N) that are trying to get rid of their stuff cheap. As always U need to know your prices before U hit a train show. Also, if you buy an engine, most shows have a test track, be sure & use it. It helps to know if an engine runs before spending the bucks. On the test track it will always let U know if it runs slow & that is important. If U buy a kit in a box, always open the box & see if all the parts are there, especiallthe trucks & couplers.
I've been going to train shows for about 40 years & you learn from your mistakes & I've made a few in the early years. Now, I'm a seasoned train show go-er & sometimes(not very often) I make a small mistake.

Larry

Train meet jan 19th/20th

Yes I agree sometime the smaller shows are better for deals. The national shows have traveling dealers who have more expenses and need this to survive and make a living. The Local shows and clubs are people usually selling of there own rolling stock ,extras or good deals they have found. And always its buyer beware:eek:

Since you live in northern VA you might want to check out the Great Scale Model Train Shows at the state fair grounds in Timonium, MD. They have them four times a year and the next one is Feb. 2-3. The fall (Oct.) and Winter (Jan./Feb.) shows are usually the best. More vendors and layout displays. I will be there on Feb. 2. Check out their web site at www.gsmts.com

mmm, wonder if I can convince the girlfriend to go visit her mother in Allentown on the 19th. Looks like it would be just a few blocks from that show.

I'm already making plans to go to the show in MD and don't know if I can make it to many more right now. The wife is not made at the abount I do now but much more and she'll be tired of it.

Back