Indian Valley Railroad (from STS): PICS!

mtrpls

Ignorance is Patriotic
The name "Indian Valley Railroad" may sound familiar to many of you who are in my age group (late 20s to early to mid 30s). Beginning in 1989, PBS aired a childrens television show called "Shining Time Station", which was on TV as reruns well into the late 1990s.

Many will remember the pint-sized Mr. Conductor (for a period casted by George Carlin), who would blow his whistle and introduce the Thomas the Tank Engine skits. There were a host of other characters, including Schemer and the puppets inside the juke box. The show took place inside a railway station along the fictional "Indian Valley Railroad". We never got to see any real trains for the Indian Valley Railroad, only a ghostly silhouette of a train passing by through the translucent white windows.

In any event, I decided to decorate an Atlas covered hopper I didn't otherwise know what to do with and paint it up for the Indian Valley Railroad of Shining Time Station fame. I had to conceptualize a logo for the railroad, design the decals, print them out, and decorate and weather the car. I only did one car, and it was a fun project as well as a tribute to my childhood.

First, some pictures to get you re-acquainted with the show, then pics of the freight car:

Memory Lane:

shining_time_station-show.jpg

Shiningtimestationlogo.jpg

0.jpg

Scheemer.jpg

pp1.jpg

0.jpg

66B319A4B32D8C73FA9475_Large.jpg

carlin%20shining%20time.jpg

DidiConn.png

Now for my fantasy car based on the show. This is an Atlas 4650 covered hopper with dual pneumatic/gravity discharge gates. The car will be delivering cornmeal from a processing plant along the Indian Valley Railroad to be unloaded at a bulk food ingredients wholesaler in Queens, New York City, routed over my modern-day New York Central System:

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4091.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

IMG_4092.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4115.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Impressive! I, too, am an STS aficonado (it's a shame the show won't come to DVD). I would love to see some more STS fan-work. Might I suggest a tank car lettered for the Snarlyville Toxic Chemical Company (referred to in the episode "Schemer's Special Club")?

Well I'm a decade older than the high age you mentioned but I remember that show very well.
I always enjoy'd watch'n the Thomas skits.
The sets they used for filming was really neat.

You did a great job on your tribute hopper.
It looks really good.

The name "Indian Valley Railroad" may sound familiar to many of you who are in my age group (late 20s to early to mid 30s). Beginning in 1989, PBS aired a childrens television show called "Shining Time Station", which was on TV as reruns well into the late 1990s.

Many will remember the pint-sized Mr. Conductor (for a period casted by George Carlin), who would blow his whistle and introduce the Thomas the Tank Engine skits. There were a host of other characters, including Schemer and the puppets inside the juke box. The show took place inside a railway station along the fictional "Indian Valley Railroad". We never got to see any real trains for the Indian Valley Railroad, only a ghostly silhouette of a train passing by through the translucent white windows.

In any event, I decided to decorate an Atlas covered hopper I didn't otherwise know what to do with and paint it up for the Indian Valley Railroad of Shining Time Station fame. I had to conceptualize a logo for the railroad, design the decals, print them out, and decorate and weather the car. I only did one car, and it was a fun project as well as a tribute to my childhood.

First, some pictures to get you re-acquainted with the show, then pics of the freight car:

Memory Lane:

shining_time_station-show.jpg

Shiningtimestationlogo.jpg

0.jpg

Scheemer.jpg

pp1.jpg

0.jpg

66B319A4B32D8C73FA9475_Large.jpg

carlin%20shining%20time.jpg

DidiConn.png

Now for my fantasy car based on the show. This is an Atlas 4650 covered hopper with dual pneumatic/gravity discharge gates. The car will be delivering cornmeal from a processing plant along the Indian Valley Railroad to be unloaded at a bulk food ingredients wholesaler in Queens, New York City, routed over my modern-day New York Central System:

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4091.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

IMG_4092.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4115.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Very unique and a great looking model. Thanks for sharing.

I like Ringo Starr as the Conductor but Carlin was'nt bad!!!!!

The funniest thing about that show in my opinion was the band in the jukebox!!

Very nice car BTW

It scares me how little I remember that show, for how much of my childhood I spent watching it. :D Great work on the hopper, looks totally plausible.

Actually...there WAS a real "Indian Valley Railroad" in Northern California.

I would LOVE to lay hands on a set of these decals, are they available for purchase?

Back