Independent Live Steamers Equipment

LiveSteamer

Chessie System Railroad
Here are some of the ILS Members Equipment. Each one is owned by the member of the club that built it.

In the 4th photo, what's all that paraphernalia on the stack has " Don't" printed on it?
I'll have to revisit your site, there was something about exceeding it's download quota, but the pages I did get were interesting.
Cheers Willis

CBCNSfan said:
In the 4th photo, what's all that paraphernalia on the stack has " Don't" printed on it?
I'll have to revisit your site, there was something about exceeding it's download quota, but the pages I did get were interesting.
Cheers Willis

The paraphernalia on the stack is the name of the member that owns it. The name is Don Sweger. The K4sa is owned by Don Sweger & John Detrick. I will post more of the equipment sometime this weekend. Yeah the website does that sometimes when alot of people look at it. I have been searching around for a different website to host my Independent Live Steamers Website. Thank you for the comment. Alot of work goes into it and this is the websites 6th year of operation. I've been the webmaster for the 4 years. My dad was webmaster for 2 years before he passed away. Again thanks for the comment. :D :D :D

> The paraphernalia on the stack is the name of the member that owns it.

As for what it is and what it does, it's a blower that induces a draft to help get your fire going. You use it when steaming up, once the fire is lit and you have some steam pressure you remove it and use the locomotive's blower to create draft, if needed.

AH! OK, that makes sense, I thought why would someone put a awful looking device on the stack of a real nice looking loco. Being somewhat of a nit picker it doesn't look prototypical to me (I'm from the steam ages :D)
Cheers Willis

CBCNSfan said:
AH! OK, that makes sense, I thought why would someone put a awful looking device on the stack of a real nice looking loco. Being somewhat of a nit picker it doesn't look prototypical to me (I'm from the steam ages :D)
Cheers Willis

No, it's basically just an electric "squirrel cage" fan to induce draft and get the fire going. It simply sets on the stack, and lifts off when you're ready. They're quite common around live steamers. Other groups use compressed air for the same purpose, depends on what you have handy...

modelbob said:
No, it's basically just an electric "squirrel cage" fan to induce draft and get the fire going. It simply sets on the stack, and lifts off when you're ready. They're quite common around live steamers. Other groups use compressed air for the same purpose, depends on what you have handy...

All of the Independent Live Steamers use the blowers. None use compressed air. Each member with the exception of a few have blowers. They work quite well i think. :D :D

Here i am running a fellow live steamers PRR E3 Atlantic and it is a 1" Scale Steam Locomotive. This engine ran smootly as this was my first time ever running a live steam engine. I will get more photo's of the equipment the ILS Members have. Watch for more this week.

modelbob said:
How about some more info on the track as well? How long is it, and what kind of route does it have?

The 5 acre club site has 3200 feet of 1-1/2" scale (7-1/4" gauge), 3000 feet of 1" scale (4-3/4" gauge), a multi-gauge loop and an infield Gauge 1 loop. There are two unloading facilities (1 for members and 1 for visiting engineers) as well as handicap facilities for our visitors.

Here is a link to the Pennsylvania Live Steamers website. The picture shown in my previous post was taken there at the PLS track. Have a look around. There is some good information there.

Back