INCREDIBLE DRONE FOOTAGE OF 5 BLAST FURNACES!

Pretty cool,video,, I work at Algoma Steel where we are transitioning to,Electric Arc and the Blast furnace will eventually be decommissioned, I’m also just beginning to fly a drone , a DJI Mini 3 Pro. I don’t know if I would take a chance flying my drone over the steel plant properly.

Pretty cool,video,, I work at Algoma Steel where we are transitioning to,Electric Arc and the Blast furnace will eventually be decommissioned, I’m also just beginning to fly a drone , a DJI Mini 3 Pro. I don’t know if I would take a chance flying my drone over the steel plant properly.
ARE they [*more than one*], or is IT [*just one*] still commissioned at Algoma? I've had the idea that most US blast furnaces went dormant not long after the end of WWII. The furnaces, not the electric arc steel making facilities and foundries, of course. I was not aware Algoma still had even one, so this is obviously news to me.

The furnaces here closed up around '92 (Colorado Fuel and Iron), so ours are gone now...........................
..................................................except in MY RR universe, of course. :D

Sometimes imagination still beats bankruptcy. :D :D :D

Last edited:
You will want to consult with Ken/DJ about that. He's a licensed drone pilot, so he would be able to tell you, I think.

ARE they [*more than one*], or is IT [*just one*] still commissioned at Algoma? I've had the idea that most US blast furnaces went dormant not long after the end of WWII. The furnaces, not the electric arc steel making facilities and foundries, of course. I was not aware Algoma still had even one, so this is obviously news to me.

The furnaces here closed up around '92 (Colorado Fuel and Iron), so ours are gone now...........................
..................................................except in MY RR universe, of course. :D

Sometimes imagination still beats bankruptcy. :D :D :D
After I hit post I got one of those , wait a minute isn’t Bethlehem steel closed , lol thought it looked pretty quiet.
Im in Sault Ste Marie Ont we have a #6 and #7 Blast furnace , 6 is rebuilt but never restarted where as #7 is still full steam ahead And the EArc furnace is being built. Lots of personnel from the blast furnace , coke making etc posting for other jobs, we have a few new people from coke making in our Dspc facility that just came in the past 6 months.

Back