Increasing locomotive top speed

Dave S

Tree Farmer
I picked up an F3 A/B set from Bowser the other day and installed the recommended decoders (LokPilot 4.0 p#546150). For some reason at the highest speed setting both units run like the throttle was set to half speed. At half speed setting they barely move and if i add some rolling stock they don't move at all, like they had no torque. My other locos, including several Bowsers, work just fine. It's only these two that are having the problem.

So far I haven't been able to figure out what is wrong. Anyone have some ideas?

Another odd thing I've noticed is the headlight will only operate when the throttle is increased. Returned to idle it will blink once or twice then go out. Applying throttle again it will turn on again. Odd.

I've factory reset both decoders a couple of times following a recommendation I read somewhere.

When you installed the decoder did you ensure the dc motor was insulated from the chassis?
I would go over the wiring again and make sure you have all wires connected to the correct points. Check for any stray wires as well or debris on the connection point of your decoder.

Last edited by a moderator:
An Intermountain F7 I bought at the Big E train show had the same problem. There was so much grease packed into the gear box the gears were unable to turn. It was a hard type grease. I had to clean it out and it wasn't an easy job. I finally set it on a tray atop the furnace. That took care of all the grease. I just had to clean up the over flow. Runs fine now.

George

Thanks for the reply Ken and George.

Something shorting out was my first guess but it affects both the a and b units the same exact way which would be unlikely. The only commonalities are the manufacturer and model of the decoders but they are what Bowser recommends.

Ken you may have something with the grease problem. While these do roll I have noticed a slight increase in performance now that I have run them around the layout a few times. Still not where they should be though.

Another odd thing I've noticed is the headlight will only operate when the throttle is increased. Returned to idle it will blink once or twice then go out. Applying throttle again it will turn on again. Odd.

I've factory reset both decoders a couple of times following a recommendation I read somewhere.

According to the manual, page 20, this indicates your command station and decoder are not set to the same speed steps. Suggest you read the manual to determine the procedures to correct this.

I had a problem with a well overgreased Intermountain SD40-2. Hadn't gone hard but oozed out everywhere after only a few feet run. If they're Loksound equipped, I've noted that they have different ways to some of the brands with programming. I would say Alex is onto the reason. Downloading the specifix manufacturer's manual has become mandatory, especially as they include more functions into their product.

Yeah I see what you mean. I still haven't gotten a handle on it although the light problem seems to have cleared up on it's own. It no longer goes out when the speed is adjusted.

The engine set runs great at low speeds but it's like it has a speed governor on it and won't get much above half speed. Not a lot of torque either. Pulling more than a couple cars slows it to a crawl. Both the A and B units are similarly affected. All my other locos work just fine.

Back