In to the computer age...

UP2CSX

Fleeing from Al
OK, so now I have my old XP laptop available for MR use after my two week battle with my new Vista 64. I have a Digitrax Zephyr and want to be able to program decoders using Decoder Pro. From what I can tell, I need JMRI and Decoder Pro. In addition, I need some sort of buffer to communicate between the control station and computer. Is the Locobuffer-USB like the one at http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/html/hardware/loconet/LocoBufferUSB.shtml all I need or do I also need a Digitrax PR3? I'm more than a little confused right now. :confused: Thanks for your help.

One or the other.

If you want to be able to program Digitrax sound decoders, you'll need the PR3.

Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like the PR3 is the way to go. Will it fall back to USB 1.1, since I don't have USB 2.0 on the old laptop? It also sounds like I don't need an extra power supply if I just want set CV's in decoders, is that correct? If I have Digitrax sound decoders and and want to change sounds projects, then I'd need an external power supply, I guess. It also appears that I don't have to be hooked up to the Zephyr control station to use the PR3, if I'm reading the specs correctly.

Thanks for the info, guys. Your welcome!:D

Looks like the PR3 is the way to go. Will it fall back to USB 1.1, since I don't have USB 2.0 on the old laptop? Yes you can do this

It also sounds like I don't need an extra power supply if I just want set CV's in decoders, is that correct? That is correct

If I have Digitrax sound decoders and and want to change sounds projects, then I'd need an external power supply, I guess. I do not know the answer to this but I would guess yes. I only have 2 sound decoders and have not made adjustments to them.

It also appears that I don't have to be hooked up to the Zephyr control station to use the PR3, if I'm reading the specs correctly. Again you are correct!:D

Just to add to Alco's response.

The PR3 does need a power supply when in sound programming mode. You also need one if you are connecting directly to the track and not going via the Zephyr. Its designed for a wall-wart so its not a big wallet burner to power the thing. Personally, when not in sound mode I go via my Super Chief instead of using the PR3 as the command station.

JMRI/decoder pro will become your friend very quickly. Especially if you have several locos of the same type. (set one up, save the settings, then clone it to all the others)

Back