Improving Athearn 'Blue Box' locomotives

Hank4014

I've acquired a bad habit of buying old 'new in box' Athearn locomotives. My last three were an AC4400, C44-9W, and a Baldwin S12. I've installed decoders and replaced headlights in previous locks, but now I'm getting a little more ambitious. I bought an SDH163 and speaker for one of the road diesels, and i'm thinking I'd like to add ditch lights, maybe, as well as headlights at each end. What's the best way to go about this? Where do I start to get parts for this?

Last edited by a moderator:
i was thinking the same thing too i acquire a CF7 and a couple of GP60's im thinking of adding sound and ditch lights too with leds

I have (8) Blue Box GP-35's I want to had details to. Having a hard time finding stuff for them. I would like some better handrails first, than some fans, and general details for it.

I have added DCC to 3 of them. That really improved the way they ran. Of course adding the good ground, and soldering the wires on had to help too.

I replaced the stock 1 giant bulb that lite up the whole engine with grain of rice bulbs when I did the DCC install. I bought the 20 pack of bulbs. I knew I was going to use them sooner or later.

Buzz.

Attachments

• Athearn Blu Box rear.jpg.jpg
    Athearn Blu Box rear.jpg.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 486
  • Athearn Blue Box conversion.jpg.jpg
    Athearn Blue Box conversion.jpg.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 617
  • Athearn Blue Box DCC.jpg.jpg
    Athearn Blue Box DCC.jpg.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 476
  • Athearn Blue Box wires.jpg.jpg
    Athearn Blue Box wires.jpg.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 693
For general diesel details, Details Associates, Cal-scale, Details West are good sources for general detail parts. Smokey Valley is a good source for new handrails. I would provide links, but I'm on my wife's laptop, and don't have access to my bookmarks.

For general diesel details, Details Associates, Cal-scale, Details West are good sources for general detail parts. Smokey Valley is a good source for new handrails. I would provide links, but I'm on my wife's laptop, and don't have access to my bookmarks.

If you could, please! My biggest issue is how to secure the headlight bulbs.

I use either CA (cyanoacrylate or super glue), or black RTV gasket sealant from the auto parts store if I am trying to keep the LED from illuminating the inside of the shell.

I used a drop of hot glue to hold mine in place. I had to put it on a piece of wire then put the drop where I wanted it. Got a be fast though.

Buzz.

What are you using for headlight bulbs? These days I am using LEDs. I file the end off and glue them directly to the back of the stock lenses. This of course means you need some sort of plug/socket system in the wire from the power to the light so that you can take off the shell.

Forum:

I have several old Blue Box Athearn locos and I run DCC. Just afraid that if I add DCC, the old noisy motor problems will remain along with the problems with the old wheel sets, large handrails and headlights, that conversion is not in my future plans. It isn't worth the cost or efforts.

Are my thoughts valid on converting old Athearn Blue Boxes?

I plan on weathering the loco's after removing the motors and run them as dummies.

Thanks.

Greg

Greg,
Yes they are worth installing DCC in. There is much that can be done to quiet down older Athearn BB locomotives. In fact this was discussed in this very forum some time ago. I used to give clinics on this and here is the discussion from earlier. One thing that I do mention is replace the drive line with neoprene tubing. Cut this into 4 pieces, with one end going onto the flywheels and connected to a straight metal piece like a cut down nail, and with the other end of the neoprene on the other end of the neopren, place this onto the truck driveshaft.

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...rn-loco&p=301499&highlight=Athearn#post301499

For the guys looking for diesel detail parts, 1st Precision Scale Company. They have over 14,000 parts of all types, so you'll have to order a catalog

http://www.precisionscaleco.com/

Next Cal-scale. They are a division of Bowser. At the NTS in Atlanta, their rep there told me they will be concentrating on new parts for diesels, and the steam parts will eventually be going away.

http://bowser-trains.com/In Stock Pages/In Stock Cal Scale.htm

Details West- Probably the best selection at this time.

http://www.detailswest.com/

The last one, Detail Associates doesn't have a website, but here is a dealer that carries their product line.

http://www.enginetender.com/229m.htm

My problem with detail parts is know what part goes with what loco. I was hoping to find a kit for GP-35's like they have the the F units and the SD's.

Buzz.

I've been in the hobby since the 70's, and my method of "improving' blue box locomotives has been to sell the vast majority of them and replace them with some newer nicer RTR versions, such as the nice SD40T-2's, SD45T-2's, SD45's, SW1000's. I still have a few blue box left over but they are probably going to be a lost cause because in the 20 years I've had them, I haven't done anything to fix them up. I suppose thats because I was never a "real" modeler, but I still love trains and want to model the D&RGW and SP. Given that I'm not a real modeler, I'm forging a head anyway on my own terms.

is there enough room in the BB SW1500 for sound and dcc w. leds?

The short answer? Yes, it is possible.

The longer answer? I'd recommend you get comfortable with a few easier installs 1st. Here is a LokSound Select installed in mine. To gain room and make the drive quieter I installed an A-Line motor and made driveshafts. The speaker had to go in the cab roof. There just isn't a whole lotta room there! Had to install the 4 position plug so I could remove the shell if need be.
1207c.JPG

1207a.JPG

How does it run??

[video=youtube;XpCEPbvqOyw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpCEPbvqOyw[/video]

;)

The short answer? Yes, it is possible.

The longer answer? I'd recommend you get comfortable with a few easier installs 1st. Here is a LokSound Select installed in mine. To gain room and make the drive quieter I installed an A-Line motor and made driveshafts. The speaker had to go in the cab roof. There just isn't a whole lotta room there! Had to install the 4 position plug so I could remove the shell if need be.
1207c.JPG

1207a.JPG

How does it run??

[video=youtube;XpCEPbvqOyw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpCEPbvqOyw[/video]

;)

now that does sounds wonderful i think im going to send off to get done tho cause its a undec and a MASERK painted

I shoehorned sound into one of the newer RTR SW-1500's, and an SP version to boot with all those lights, That one was a character builder! As Karl says, you won't want to make this one your first install. You probably won't want children in the vicinity either :eek:

Back