IHC Passenger Cars

CMMR

I purchased a set of 8 IHC Via Rail passenger cars a few months ago at a local show/swap meet for $75. They looked to be in good condition, and included two coaches (one with interior), one diner, one baggage, one combine, one observation, one vista and a sleeper. With a few modifications, I figured they would be a good set for my yet to be built layout.

My intentions were to add interiors and people to some of the cars, and upgrade the couplers on all of them. I turned to ebay, and found someone selling a set of three interiors (coach, diner and observation), which I bought. I also came across someone in Greece selling seated figures by the hundred for cheap. Sure, the quality isn't great, but I have a lot of seats to fill and they will be inside anyway. After doing a little research, I also came across the Kadee 508 bolster conversion kit for these cars, so I ordered them as well.

This past week, while I am waiting for some parts to finish off my GP9RM conversion, I decided to start on these cars. I took the coach with the interior apart first, and found that the previous owner had added sinkers to the seat recesses of the interior for some extra weight, as well as a plate glued to the floor of the coach itself.

preview_p10007900.jpg

I glued some people to the existing interior and put it aside.

preview_p10008810.jpg

I then removed the weight from the floor, as it caused the interior to sit too high. There were some more sinkers in the floor cavities, which I left. Next I removed the trucks. The first step of the bolster conversion is to remove the wheelset closest to the coupler, then the coupler itself.

preview_p10008360.jpg

Next remove the coupler mounting pin and the crossmember portion of the truck, and file edges smooth.

preview_p10008380.jpg

Next I assembled the 508 kit and filed down the bosses on top as per the instructions.

preview_p10008680.jpg

I then took the coupler assy and test fit it into the truck. I re-installed the wheelset and checked the coupler height against a Kadee gauge. I also checked the amount of projection, as I wanted the cars to couple closer to each other than with the horn/hooks that were originally on it. When I was happy with the alignment I glued it in place instead of screwing it, as there wasn't much meat for the screw to bite into.

preview_p10008400.jpg

preview_p10008690.jpg

Here is a before and after shot of the horn/hook vs Kadee coach spacing. I didn't want them too much closer in case the diaphragms rubbed on corners.

preview_p10008770.jpg

preview_p10008780.jpg

Once I had both trucks done I re-installed them, the completed interior and finally the roof/window assy.

Next I tackled the observation car interior. Here is the kit prior to assembly. The colors are kind of funky, but I think they add a bit to the interior.

preview_p10008440.jpg

The assembled kit...

preview_p10008450.jpg

And with people...

preview_p10008520.jpg

preview_p10008530.jpg

preview_p10008540.jpg

Because this car did not have an interior before the previous owner had glued tire weights to the floor, which I removed, cut up and re-installed into the floor cavities. I then installed the completed interior and roof/window assy.

preview_p10008500.jpg

preview_p10008710.jpg

preview_p10008740.jpg

Here's the diner...

preview_p10008330.jpg

preview_p10008420.jpg

preview_p10008830.jpg

I came across a baggage interior at the LHS a couple of days ago for $5, so have it and the other coach to do. If anyone has a Vista interior kicking around that they aren't using, let me know!

Thought I would add the Vista Dome to this thread. The one that I bought did not have an interior on the main level but did have seats for the dome area. After keeping an eye on ebay I still could not find a Vista Dome interior, but there were quite a few coaches. I took one of my existing coach interiors and test fitted it. With a little trimming I decided it would work, so I ordered one.

The glass on the Vista Dome is part of the base instead of the roof and is narrower than the other cars. The first thing I had to do was to trim off the edges of the coach interior to make it fit.

P1000975_zpsff7e2535.jpg

P1000976_zps83f7fb2e.jpg

The first thing I did was remove the rim weights that the previous owner had installed. After test fitting it I noticed that because the the floor dropped in the center and there were 2 lower windows in this area on one side that the edge of the interior was going to be exposed.

P1000977_zps73e88706.jpg

I decided to cut 3 seats out in this area and mount them to the lower portion of the floor.

P1000979_zps4002b4bf.jpg

P1000981_zps2ec49679.jpg

P1000982_zps446e1ae1.jpg

Because the seats in the dome area were black I decided to paint all the seats a shade of blue close to the existing coach seat color. Once the paint was dry I assembled the walls and added some of my cheapo figures from Asia. I also reworked the rim weights and mounted them in the lower floor area around the lower seats.

P1000990_zps9277b0d8.jpg

P1000992_zpsb36ddade.jpg

Here's the Vista Dome seats installed...

P1000993_zps1f4107aa.jpg

Finished interior in the car....

P1000996_zpsd3a9c0b2.jpg

P1000998_zps7d8454b4.jpg

P1000999_zpsf37fbe75.jpg

Excellent work. Normally I would never consider any IHC products but you turned these into an amazing train. Bravo !

Great job Gary, really makes a differance!
Whatcha going to pull them with?
I've always liked that blue and yellow scheme.

Great job Gary, really makes a differance!
Whatcha going to pull them with?
I've always liked that blue and yellow scheme.
Funny you ask - stevehihi on the forum had a Trainline F40PH for sale in VIA colors and made me a good deal, so I thought until I can afford one of those nice Rapido FP9's it will make a good project for a decoder and sound.

Back