If you could...

chrismoore93

Central Phoenix Railroad
Hi everyone,
I know I've kind of been jumping from subject to subject, but I have a question. If you were able to buy a Santa Fe locomotive ( black and yellow) with a DCC controller for $78.99, would you buy it, and is it worth the money.
Thanks,
Chris Moore

Chris a very important question to ask is what make, and what model and how old is it? ( Road name isn't all that important, it can be changed).
If it was aan Athearn Blue Box Kit loco with a decoder, IMHO it isn't worth it. An Athearn Spectrum well that's an entirely different Loco. Could be!
Cheers Willis

In my opinion, no Bachmann engine is worth that much money. You could get an Atlas GP40 with a decoder for that price on E-Bay. And Atlas is a hundred times better than bachmann.

An Athearn Spectrum
Well Well must have been sleepy when I posted that. should have read Athearn Genesis Oh! well! Chris your link didn't work for me but it appears you are looking at a regular Bachmann GP40 with DCC. To the best of my information all DCC equiped locos can be set to run on analog ( DC) power
and I got the following from the Bachmann website GP40 Spectrum = No Product Found however in the standard locos the following
HO Scale - Motive Power
Item No: 60302
Name: DCC-Equipped EMD GP40
Roadname: Santa Fe
Description: With these easy to use and affordable locomotives, you can digitally control speed, lighting, and direction. Compatible with all NMRA-compliant DCC systems.
MSRP: $ 48.00
So looking at this I'd say it isn't that great of a buy!
Cheers Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?Scale=HO&Item=160Diesel&offset=50&ID=200401357

Bachmann Industries - E-Z Command System DCC Accessories - DCC & Analog Controller System w/Decoder Equipped Santa Fe GP40 - BAC44904

WST Part Num: 200401357
Mfg. Part Num: BAC44904
Gauge/Scale: HO
Sold By: Each
Our Price: $78.99

So it would appear that that is the normal sale price for one equipped with a decoder and DCC controler also. Nothing special about the price. Not being into DCC someone else will have to take it from here.
Cheers Willis

That's Bachmann's new inexpensive (I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, Lenz created it) DCC system. Non-expandable, and fairly inflexible. Probably not the way you want to get into DCC. OTOH, if you can't save the $150 or so for a Prodigy Advance, it may be what you need.

Jeff,
So basically what your saying is Bachmann makes there own DCC System, which is not very good?
Chris Moore

Sorry for writing back so quickly but I think I should clarify something I didn't.
The locomotive is a Bachmann GP40, It is already DCC equipped, and comes with a DCC controller.
Hope that clarifies it,
Chris Moore

Jeff,
That DCC controller on the website www.bachmanntrains.com is exactly the same as the one wholesale trains with the Santa Fe Locomotive. Would that be more or less than what it would cost to buy a GP40 and a Bachmann DCC controller?
Thanks,
Chris Moore

I'm missing what you are asking. The controller (big white box with buttons) and the GP40 come as a set for somewhere north of $100.

chrismoore93 said:
Jeff,
So basically what your saying is Bachmann makes there own DCC System, which is not very good?
Chris Moore

Since the Bachmann/Lenz is a real basic system and is not expandable, it has a very limited usefulness if you're considering expanding your empire. If said empire is a 4x8 or maybe a 6x9, you may not tax the system's current capabilities. But, if your layout is going to get bigger, the power output and 9 loco limit will surely not be enough.

Considering these low-end sets means to me that they're a niche item. They do have their place, and their low cost is attractive. But, the conventional wisdom of looking at this level of investment down the road applying to a larger empire is a false one.

On the other issue, I'd stay away from the Bachmann diesels. Historically, they haven't been all that good.

Kennedy

The Feb 05 issue of Railmodel Journal has a loco test on the Bachmann system. Regarding the DCC part, it says the output is only 1amp, and can only run 2 locos in a consist at one time.

This is a major flaw, in my view. You can run two locos now, using the cheapest MRC DC Powerpack. One amp is really low, the major systems are 5amps, but you should really consider the minimum is half that. Maybe 3amps. If you have sound decoders, you're going to hit that one amp quickly.

Kennedy

You wouldn't even need sound, all you need is lighting in some of the passenger cars and your in trouble. Even the MRC new DCC system which is probably not much more has a 3.5 amp capability.

I too would have nothing to do with Bachmann equipment. Both in running and in looks.

I have a few Spectrum diesels; I turned them into dummy locos by removing the motors and gearing. The goal was to turn them into Sound dummies, but I lost interest in that project. Right now, they're being hauled around as an unpowered (but really heavy) loco.

Sound appears to have made a big jump into the RTR arena. QSI is the OEM for this, and BLI, Atlas, P2K, and Lionel are using QSI sound boards. Given their DCC/DC architecture, they seem to have a heavy current draw on layout powerup. Which doesn't bode well for a one amp DCC station.

Kennedy

Back