ID a Engine for me.

pappywolf

Hey, newbe to some train engines. Can anyone tell me what typ of engine this is. It is HO Life Like from China. Thanks

It's a BL-2, don't know how many road used it but don't believe it was very common. Most model engines are made in China now, unfortunately.

I known of two roads that used BL2's: The C&O and the Western Maryland (There's a WM unit sitting in the B&O museum). I can't say for certain, but it may have been an experimental "form-follows-function" body type tried by EMD for use on branch lines and other places where a lot of switching needed to be done. Once the GP7 came along there was no longer any need for this model.

A little history of EMD's ill-fated first attempt in the road switcher market.
The first attempt was the BL-1 which is the forerunner of the BL-2.Only one BL-1 was built it share the same carbody as the BL-2.There was 58 BL-2s built.
The biggest problem with the BL-2 was the view from the cab while switching.Unlike the Alco RS1 and RS2 the engineer could not see the switchmen on the ground from the cab of the BL-2..Here is a unit that EMD's design engineers did not like,the sales department did not like and above all the railroads did not like because they felt the BL-2 was no more then a modified F7 with the same basic view problems.. Long time Editor of Trains magazine Dave P.Morgan would comment the BL-2 look like a cross between a Borden milk car and a cab unit.Of course the failure of the BL-2 in sales led to the development EMD's GP7s by EMD's Chief Design Engineer Dick Dilworth..
But that is another stoy.:D

You guys are great ! Thanks so much for your info. Question, I can not find another engine like this, is this a hard to find HO engine ? Thanks again

I have to say so too. It sure is a homely looking engine. I have never seen one. That is why I could not ID the engine. Thanks

Cjcrescent said:
Hate to disappoint you Josh. They're from Germany. As a result some people called them Kraut-Machines!:D
I stand corrected, I thought it was Russia, hummm...

pappywolf said:
Hey, I found a few of them on ebay. thanks all
I just looked on e-bay. Wow, there are some very pricey ones out there in the e-bay stores. I just wanted to say that they couldn't give these things away in the hobby stores for $39.99. I think I got mine for $19. I would really not recommend paying the $69 that I see some of these people asking, they are NOT rare and definitely not worth that much.

But I guess if you are getting one for "collector value" be certain to get one in the original brown/gold colored box. The blue box ones are a more recent run.

Yea, I got mine for $19.00 too. Thats not bad. Hey I bought a Riverossi Big Boy #4005, 1970 or 71. It has a broken cow catcher on it. Do they make a repair kit or some place to get spare parts ? Thanks all

pappywolf said:
Yea, I got mine for $19.00 too. Thats not bad. Hey I bought a Riverossi Big Boy #4005, 1970 or 71. It has a broken cow catcher on it. Do they make a repair kit or some place to get spare parts ? Thanks all

If that is all that is broke, Precision Scale Company and Cal-scale both make detail parts out of brass and plastic. They both have several versions of the pilot (cowcatcher) available.

Precision Scale- http://www.precisionscaleco.com/

Cal-Scale- http://www.bowser-trains.com/

Back