Ice House Help

BNSF4723

Hi All say I am having adifficult time here,Trying too find soem Railroad Ice Hosue Photos.I want too Model one in Ho-Scale and need some Photos of one.Also did they have a Friut/Ice House in 1 Building.Hope you can Help thanks:confused:

Wow, I know I've seen pics of them, gotta remember where!
All I can think of right now is the neverfailing google search?
Gonna have to think on this one and get back to you...

BNSF4723, I scratchbuilt an Ice House operation last year. This was not a car icing facility but an Ice Harvesting business. I did acumulate a few photos that were on the web but they are not a common item that was photographed and I did not evidently save them. Do a search on Railroad Icing and you will get quite a few hits. You may have to spend some time sorting through the sites to find what you are looking for. Icing houses from what I can find were varied in size and dimentions and had no one "look" to them. Most did have an elevated walkway to be able to load the ice blocks into the roofs of the reefers.

Ah Ha! This site may be of help to you. It has some photos of Ice operations as well as links to other good site on the topic.

BTW, my Ice House operation can be seen here: http://www.nmra.org/scratch_cooley.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried the Citrus Modeling List on Yahoo? They have loads of packing house and ice house info. Also the PFE book by Thompson Church & Jones has more ice house information than you'll know what to do with :D

I remember seeing one in a Model Railroad Magazine last year . but I don't remember the issue or which one srry . But maybe someone else will remember it .OLDGETTYSK

Back