I was a member went by Blue90.

Blues909

I couldn't use my old user because it was used. I've been out of it all for a while . Don't have a layout , all I'm trying to do is finish the loco's I started quite a while ago. I have air brushes , Badger and Thayer chandler and Paasche. I started out with a Badger 200 and 150 well before the 200 was changed and wish I'd never sold them . I have tried yet never practiced enough to get the hang of a dual action. I have a Badger 155 and Vega 2000 and Paasche VL med tip. One badger made up long ago basically a TT3000 so it's a dual action with a badger HD tip and has a needle stop. Most all my air brushing has been done with a Paasche H #3 and it was the 3rd brush I got then a badger 350 M tip. I have an old 350 as well and 4 Paasche H and a Paasche SI #3 and a revell same as a TC Vega 600 yet has the old type Badger head med .05 mm so I can't say if it will work with the model flex paint.

I am sort of lost on paint I have only used Scale coat 1 and 2 and Floquil and once testors enamel.

All the loco's I have are either old blue box Athearn and some I kit bashed . I sold all the ones other than a few that I painted. And now the price is so high for HO loco's I just want to finish what I have. I have no idea what paint to use never tried Model flex on plastic just wood. I still have lots of floquil .

I thought of getting another air brush like a Paasche talon BF yet I don't need one really it just looks like a nice brush. I had a Paasche Mil # 3 yet sold it thought of another since they have changed the head a bit.

Mainly it's the paint I don't know what to use. So much has changed even though I can still work an air brush. Even the paint costs a lot now. Got my old sears shop compressor and Paasche reg and a Zeny compressor with a 3 liter tank seems to work well so I can use it in the apt instead of the garage. It also has a Paasche regulator since the one Zeny used had the wrong fittings even to the tank so I retapped the tank for 1/8 NPT which it what it is and cleared out the hard sealer they used.

I have maybe 10 locos I need to paint and do mostly C&NW , Milwaukee and C&GW at least that's what I was doing.

Any help with the paint would help me out.

So what questions in particular do you have? Will Modelflex spray OK? Yes, it will. That's what it's formulated for. I usually use a little of their retarder, typically a dropper full in each new bottle. Floquil and Scalecoat will work just fine, though you don't say anything about using them in an apartment. Needless to say, adequate ventilation is a must. I'd say practice up on your double action skills. The Talon is a nice airbrush, but it is a double action. I have taught airbrush for years and have had 9 year old kids using double action in ten minutes. It's sometimes more difficult to unlearn what you do with a single action than to learn what you do with a double action (the voice of experience).

Back