I wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

1st thing I see, is a problem (well not a big problem) is with the 2 "Y"s ..This is tricky running a blocking system, (power needs to be separated by use of plastic rail joiners and controllers to each section, so "+" don't end up meeting the "-") but now is a good time for you to get into DCC...You can buy a starter set that has engine, and controller by Bachmann and use DCC friendly switches...One power pack will control allot of engines...on separate channels, otherwise your going to need 2 power packs, blocking, and then you'll only be able to operate 2 engines at once...And this can be tricky just learning..So I suggest now is a great time to get into DCC...before you spend allot on items that your prob gonna get rid of once you understand the advantages of DCC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Luke,

May be another item concerning the design of the new layout:
Try to make a a sketch/drawing in scale 1: 10( or 1 : 5) So 1 meter in real is 10 cm on paper.( it is also easier for us to understand and see your plan/sketch...
First draw the contours of your layout with the angels 90 degrees!(are they in real also 90 degrees?) So actualy make/draw everything 10 times smaller. For example : the space between 2 tracks = 6 cm. On the drawing that would be 6 mm. Curves: Radius 60 cm: on the drawing it would be 6 cm etc etc
Note that there is a minimum radius for HO scale!!( I think 45 cm = 19/20 inches!!!!
That's a way to make a rough sketch. I f you want an accurate plan, I think, you have to do that with an comp. designing programm. Just watch in this forum for something like that.( "Spacemouse" Chip knows almost everything about designing. Just have a look at his website!!( Hope you don"t mind Chip!)
Have fun and start the ( design) engines....( designing is very tough. If it is done well and carefuly you will have a good start in this , as I said, beautiful hobby!!

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:
plan2jg6.jpg

Maybe this will help with the scale. I sort of figured I'd have to come up with a unique plan loosely based on the line because to model the entire thing to scale would take up WAY more space than my 20x26 foot attic could accomodate. As far as the wiring goes I'm pretty handy with electronics and switching, but I know nothing of DCC yet, sounds like it might be something I'd want to look into.

Luke, so your basically after Pittsburgh, the P&LE and PRR, in the current setting of NS/CSX?

The layout you want wouldn't be to difficult, but as was mentioned, the wyes over the river will be a wiring issue. nothing that can't be overcome however.

So, what points of interest do you want?

Luke, so your basically after Pittsburgh, the P&LE and PRR, in the current setting of NS/CSX?

The layout you want wouldn't be to difficult, but as was mentioned, the wyes over the river will be a wiring issue. nothing that can't be overcome however.

So, what points of interest do you want?

Well those would be the lines to the north of the bridge. The PRR line went across the bridge in Brownsville and off into Uniontown. That line is now abandoned east of the bridge. South of the bridge was the Monongahela Railway. I'm not even that old and I still remember seeing the MRY locomotives, I think they merged with Conrail in 1993. Most of their old track is still running, except that line that goes through the tunnel, that was abandoned in I think I 1976. I think I want to start with the alicia transfer facility, since this is where a lot of the coal winds up and gets put on barges. I don't think I'll be able to duplicate a working model of it since it actually lifts the hoppers up with hydraulics and literally tips them over and puts them back on the track, I sort of doubt that will work if I try to build something like that. Other than that I want to highlight the abandoned line (it won't be abandoned in my model) through the old tunnel and have some industrial siding and abandoned coke ovens (which are EVERYWHERE on that line), stuff like that. I'd like to keep the line similar to the real one, but I have no problem taking some liberties to make it better. After all, they can go wherever I want them to in my world, right?

If you can dream it, You can build it...even the tip-over unloading....You can buy a rotary dump set up ...or dubb in a bottom unloader...It's your world...as long as your happy and it works for you...that's all that matters...We get guys here that "lived the day" and may say.."that building had 3 windows at the top"...That doesn't make us cut another window in it...We change stuff when we get a good tip or suggestion...but if we're happy with the way it is...it stays!...We didn't do it to be judged or graded...I got out of school years ago!...LOL. Built it the way you want...learn what works...and learn from your mistakes, or ask before you make any(saves a little time)...but understand why things won't work so you don't run into it elsewhere on the layout...Just have fun...Get some track laid...add the turn outs where you plan on them and continue on if you don't have the track for the siding...work out the bugs on the main line and come back to the sidings and scenery later... I wish I had this page and the internet years ago!!!..Your lucky!...All I had was magazines and allot seemed strange to me.

Well, best bet is to start off by drawing your space on graph paper. Then go from there. You need to set limits/wants/dislikes and just draw the mainline in. Once you have that, make a list of industries served, then start inserting them at each location. Don't go hog wild. If an industry had 10 tracks, you really don't need that many, and likely couldn't fit that many.

Stick with surfaces in your reach, likely 24" of depth in most cases.
Set radius limits. 30" seems general anymore.
Set turnout standards, like Peco or Walthers, and 4 or 5 and a mix, but have a standard.

If you need help, shoot me a line, I do help with layout designs.

Matt

Hi Luke: Welcome to the forums and to MRRing. I'll go with what the others have said and add to remember to make things easyto get to and maintain. Any bench work over 3 ft. is hard to reach into for maintance or working on. Also being linear is good. You might want to pick up a couple of books like Track Planning For Realistic Operations. Of course youcan always come here and ask for help. There no bad questions only the ones that don't get asked.
Above all have fun.

Back