I NEED help!!!!!!!!!

chrismoore93

Central Phoenix Railroad
I am having a problem with my War Baby. The two back wheels are out of there sockets. What should I do? Your help would be VERY VERY VERY appreciated.

The two back wheels are out of there sockets
Hi Chris, Sorry for your problem with your baby. Can you explain the problem a bit more for us. What exactly do you mean by sockets? Are the drivers (wheels) off the axel or the axel off the frame?
Cheers Willis

Okay let me give this a try. The wheels are of the axel. Basically the wheels are attached to the pistons, but not to the locomotive. I'll try to take some pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Send that Baby to the roundhouse for repairs!!

Find a hobby shop that repairs train models or contact the manufacturer!!

Just my .02 cents.

> Find a hobby shop that repairs train models or contact the manufacturer!!

He's absolutely correct.

Here's the problem. The place the side rods attach to the drivers on a steam locomotive MUST be 90 degrees apart. If they're not, it can cause problems with the valve gear, though I can't recall why at the moment since the two sides aren't really connected...

Oh, wait, now I recall. They have to be exactly the same for all the wheels. It's supposed to be 90 degrees, since that's what it is on a real locomotive. I suppose it could be 180 also or any angle you wanted it to be, that wouldn't matter. What does matter is that all the drive wheels on the engine are set to exactly the same angle (whatever it is), or as close as possible, otherwise the side rods will bind up as the wheels move.

They sell a small tool (the Quarterer by Northwest Short Line) to help you do that. But it's easiest to just take it to a hobby shop or, if it's as new as I recall it being, contact the manufacturer. You don't want more damage to the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
chrismoore93 said:
How much would it cost to get it repaired?

Haven't got a clue. :confused:

This is where you doing a little research comes into play.

Contact the manufacturer and find out if you still have a warranty with that model.
If you do, then take it from there.
If not, Then go through a phone book and find a hobby shop that makes repairs.
Tell them what you have and ask for a quote to have them repair it.
Get a price and then shop around for a couple of more quotes.
Ask for a list of references from past clients to maybe get a little feed back
on the quality of work that they perform.

Take your time and get this done right.
While your steamer is down, take a look at your engine roster and see what else you can run in it's place. :cool:

How much would it cost to get it repaired?
Hi Chris, that would depend on how many hours of work and parts required. Your best bet would be to get an estimate from a Hobby shop and if it costs more to repair than the units shown here http://www.bowser-trains.com/mechanisms.php I'd buy the new replacement unit. It will be a judgement call on your part after all, you the man what's shelling out the $$$
Cheers Willis

CBCNSfan said:
Hi Chris, that would depend on how many hours of work and parts required. Your best bet would be to get an estimate from a Hobby shop and if it costs more to repair than the units shown here http://www.bowser-trains.com/mechanisms.php I'd buy the new replacement unit. It will be a judgement call on your part after all, you the man what's shelling out the $$$
Cheers Willis
And you know who you can come to to get that frame from Bowser :D :D :D :D

eBay! wasn't it Chris? So warrantees will not apply without the original receipt. I have no idea of how much this unit cost you with the bidding and shipping, and now repairs. Sometimes it's just better to cut your losses. Cost$$$ = Repair $$$ = Junk :D
Cheers Willis

Chris, send a private message to Nate (Sushob) maybe, just maybe! you could come to an agreement price on a replacement drive. These new drives are supposed to be good runners with lot's of pulling power, qualities your war baby didn't have, even when it was new. So if you really want your loco as worth while power for the layout, consider the new drives. In the future I plan to buy a couple of those drives for mine.
As for eBay, I only buy cheap loco's, and only diesels at that. Got stung on the first buy, and another one was missing a few parts in the drive.
Cheers Willis

chrismoore93 said:
Ya I think so. Unless of course he was lying?

Don't be too harsh. I have a Bachmann GS4 with the same problem. It was run more than just a test run, but it didn't have that many hours on it before the wheels came loose on the axle.

modelbob said:
Don't be too harsh. I have a Bachmann GS4 with the same problem. It was run more than just a test run, but it didn't have that many hours on it before the wheels came loose on the axle.
I'm sorry bob your right :(

Originally Posted by modelbob
Don't be too harsh. I have a Bachmann GS4 with the same problem
Yeah! but at least you didn't put it up for auction on eBay :D
Cheers Willis

Back