I Need A Opinion

I would like everyones opinion on a HO Scale Bachmann DCC-Equipped GP40.
I need to know if its a smooth runner, if it makes alot of noise, and if it has good pulling power. Thanks

David

WELCOME to the forum David!:D i bought two of the bachmann DCC on board FT's, was the best $35 i spent. dont get me wrong, they are NO atlas, PK2 or Kato,ect., but for $35, they run GREAT!:D they are real heavy, not as smooth as atlas or kato, but seem to run plenty good enough.;) are they my best or favorite engines? NO WAY, but they aren't the worst engines have bought either. i bought a bachmann spectrum FM H16-44, i know spectrum's are supposed to be good, but it ran like crap, kept the shell replaced the frame and motor with an atlas RS3. BOTTOM LINE, for a DCC beginner engine, or if you want to add cheep motive power, i say its good for that.;):) again, for $35, i say its well worth it, and if it broke in a year or two, it wouldn't be an expensive loss. oh yea, the detailing on it wasn't bad either. hope this helps, good luck,:) -Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
oh yea, if you think your going to get into the CV's and get lighting effects, and such out of these engines, DON'T BUY THEM!:eek: these engines have the most BASIC DCC you can get, NO FRILLS. honestly, i bought them for two reasons:1= a DCC engine for just a stinking $35, had to try it out. 2=i had an athearn DC F7 that i wanted to convert to DCC, i use soundtraxx decoders, but don't run this engine alot, so instead of converting it to DCC with sound i put the athearn F7 shell on the bachmann DCC frame and motor. it worked out great and was a cheep conversion.;):D -Dean

thanks for your help. accually im buying them to repaint them into a local railways (Kelowna Pacific Railway) paint scheme. both are LLPX/GMTX leasers, with the KELOWNA PACIFIC logo on them. really its more of a test to see if im any good at painting, and with a price like that, you cant go wrong. attached are pictures of the locomotives
GMTX2632a.jpg

llpx2605.jpg

David

If you are going to put a lot of work into it, maybe you should spend a little more and go with an Atlas. Why put a lot of work into an engine just to constantly yearn for a better runner. If it's a test, why not get a cheapy or dummy on eBay.

Back