I have no clue about trains...

jobber53

Hi, I'm not really a train person at all but I have a serious question for you guys.

So I was talking to my unlce the other day. He has always been a "train nut" (no offense intended). Over the years he has spent thousands and thousands of dollars on model trains. As usual I was teasing him about spending his money on trains and that he could get a real nice rifle for the price of a few of those engines. He says "don't laugh, because when I die, you are going to inherit all of these. Yeah, you can sell them all and buy more guns" Wow, I didn't know how to respond to that, it was just out of nowhere. Hopefully it will be many more years before I have to deal with this situation. But this conversation did get me thinking. What the heck am I gonna do with all of that stuff? When it comes to model railroads I don't know jack. I could easily sell something that is worth hundreds of dollars for $50 and not know it. I wouldn't know a premium or antique piece from one that was bought at walmart. As unpleasant of a topic as it is, I figure better to try and figure out a course of an action now, rather than try to do it in a time of grief.

What would I do? Where would I go? Is there some kind of bluebook of train values? any place that is reputable that would give a fair price rather than try to rip you off?

sorry for the odd question, but I don't know where to turn.

Jobber;

First off welcome, and I hope you have a LONG time before you have to deal with this.

Suggestions;

1. Find out if your Uncle is a member of the National Model Railroad Association, the NMRA. The have an excellent estate counseling program and if your Uncle is a member, its free. More info can be had at www.NMRA.org.

2. If he has a layout, there is a good chance you will not be able to sell it intact. Salvaged pieces/parts generally sell better. Get your Uncle NOW to inventory his stuff, with your help, of course, and assign a value to each piece. Now this will not say that you can or will get the price he assigns, but at least you'll have an idea.

3. If he does pass before this is done and you decide to get it appraised, avoid an appraisal by an antique dealer. They may know antiques, but they more than likely, don't know model trains.

4. Find out from your Uncle who some of his RR buddies are or check with his local hobby shop, as they maybe able to steer you toward an honest appraisal by someone familiar with the hobby.

Thanks, for the information. I realize this topic not the type of thing one would like to talk about in GD.

jobber53 said:
I was teasing him about spending his money on trains and that he could get a real nice rifle for the price of a few of those engines.
Or an automobile, or a house.....

He says "don't laugh, because when I die, you are going to inherit all of these. Yeah, you can sell them all and buy more guns"
Be careful, you might end up becoming a model railroader. I have quite a collection of fire-arms that make many a collector envious, but I've had much more fun with the trains. They are a much more engaging hobby.

Is there some kind of bluebook of train values? any place that is reputable that would give a fair price rather than try to rip you off?
First a fair price to a re-seller is not a fair retail price. You could not expect a hobby shop to give you what you could get on the open market. They have to make a profit in there somewhere.

Second, what size are the trains? If they are Lionel 3-rail or American Flyer there have been many pricing books produced(Greenburg price guides I think). The only thing with those is to be certain that it is current as prices change quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock reply when folks ask about the value of trains is eBay! But, on top of that, the real place is to contact the local club. Those guys should be able to help you out. They can ID the stuff, and give you advice.

Another thing would be to go to a Train Show and browse the flea market. I don't recommend talking to the dealers about selling your stuff, but there are those who have 'trains wanted' signs on their tables. The real key here is to take a look at what's for sale and judge accordingly.

To be brutally honest, I go to a few shows locally here every year, and it's the same guys all the time with the same 'junk'. That analogy, especially if your stuff is close, can be disheartening. This is where eBay will give you a wider audience for your stuff.

But, all this is in the future. Your uncle will be around for a long time, and like somebody else said, you may become a convert. Besides, this is all generalities anyway.

BTW, Model RR is my 4th hobby. I was a gun collector, wargamer, paintball player before becoming a model RRer. I went to model RR because I was looking for a hobby that I can retire into.

Kennedy

Back