I hate ups!

With the oft-discussed demise of the local hobby/train shop, we're all often dependent on online/catalog/mail order for our supplies & equipment.

So when I ordered something I needed on September 17th, I didn't think much about the fact it would ship UPS. I should have... especially given that in the past a solid 1/3 of my UPS shipments get delayed, messed up or otherwise wrong.

Now, despite the vendor shipping promptly, UPS has delayed my package again. From the original delivery date of 9/24 it was pushed to today, and now it's pushed to 9/29... There go my weekend plans! Ugh. It never crossed my mind that something I ordered (from the U.S. at least) could POSSIBLY take 12 days to get here!

Now stuff happens, I know. BUT, it seems to happen to UPS a lot more than anyone else. Starting with the fact that a shipper sending out a package on 9/18 by Priority Mail would probably have got here before 9/24 to start with. So not only has UPS pushed me back twice, but their original date was nothing to jump up and down about.

It's pretty sad when USPS is kicking the butt of a private-company shipper. Isn't it supposed to be the opposite?

It's literally getting to the point that I'm going to stop ordering/bidding when folks use UPS. Fool me once, yeah... Fool me about 27 times now and shame on me...

Does anyone else find the same?

Sorry. Just had to vent.

I go with the USPS on everything, and shipping is always ahead of schedule. Even the stuff that can take 10 days sometimes gets here in 2.

Granted I have had numerous issues with our local post office, including they lost something (it got scanned in in the morning and by the end of the day it disappeared).

The rate for less than 14 ounces is very reasonable, but for over that to 5 pounds for so seems high. Cheaper than driving there, though. lasm

My experience tends to be the opposite -- USPS is the less reliable, and tracing is often a work of fiction. Over the many years I've ordered from the web, and before that, discount ads in the mags, UPS reliability for me has been over 99% -- worst in recent years was a one-day delay. Maybe you should open a dialog with your on line supplier and see if they can trace any issues.

I talked to the supplier, who did their part by shipping fast, and who has also abouthad it with ups, they say. Also spoke to ups whose response was to go pound sand, it's delayed... sooorrrry!

USPS Priority mail is the best. I have never had any delays, problems, or lost packages. But don't use their ground service, Priority Mail only.

Anything else is a crapshoot. UPS is expensive, and they're horrible. Fedex is good, but again way too expensive.

I talked to the supplier, who did their part by shipping fast, and who has also abouthad it with ups, they say. Also spoke to ups whose response was to go pound sand, it's delayed... sooorrrry!

Ask the shipper to call UPS (who paid for shipping charges) and ask for a refund, or at least a partial refund. 12 days is outragous, I could walk it there faster than that.

Totally agree on the cost issues ($$$$) with UPS and FedEx .. my only (for now) complaint with USPS is their tracking. There will be a notice that something has been picked up, then NOTHING until two days after delivered - "it's been delivered" ... at least FedUp is decent with their tracking

G'day...Postage problems ...Bloody annoying.....In Australia we have three methods through Australia Post... the first one is Standard Mail...In my case on the island State (Tasmania)..this is painfully slow. Even from Melbourne which is 350 kms or about 220 miles away ..its at least 3 days..and other places much longer... Then there's the really beaut service called EXPRESS POST and EXPRESS POST PLATINUM...This is awesome...The longest I've EVER waited for my packages , some quite substantial ie (two boxes of Atlas flex track) is 2 days but it's almost always next day....Costs a couple of dollars more than standard but who cares..The third one is the new Courier Service..Is pretty good if you know you're home to accept...although if you're not and there is a Post office or agent in your town , they'll default leave you a card to say they left your stuff there.. No way would I wait 12 days for a package..That'd drive me nuts.. Hope you get yours soon..Cheers Rod..

I live in Canada and order a lot from the US. I avoid Priority shipping like the plague if at all possible. If the shipment weighs more than 4 lbs. I have no choice though. For overseas shipping Priority is very expensive, takes twice as long as regular airmail and I also get extra charges added on. It is usually about 3 times the price of First class International shipping and takes usually twice as long to get here. Everything Priority gets stopped at the border. They charge $10 just for having it at the border(They usually don't even check the parcel. This is just for it going through customs). They then add another 5% to the price for GST tax. The tax is not only on the value of the merchandise, but on the price of shipping as well. With First Class International the parcels usually are not kept at the border and come straight through to my address. Much quicker and plenty cheaper. Just glad I purchased most of the stuff I need some years ago before the shipping prices went through the roof.

Even UPS uses USPS to deliver some packages. Go figure.

Fed Ex does the same thing.

When it comes to shipping all I care about is the lowest price UPS is consistently the most expensive and considering that, it is inexcusable for them to be slower then the rest.

In my experience I have always had good luck with all shippers, but I live in Baltimore and the north east corridor has the most shipping traffic. There is some benefit to living between New York and Washington.

I live in a small town. Over the last 10 years or so I've only had two packages out of hundreds go astray. UPS is a common visitor to my home, as is FedEx and USPS.

The UPS guy brings dog treats for my dogs. After the first time my dogs thought that every truck was supposed to have treats and all were greeted with great enthusiasm. :)

Sorry to have caused confusion

I wrote a reply to another thread in this thread and then edited it out replacing it with that post.

Louis, when you want to get rid of a post you made, you simply click the edit post button, then check the "delete post" box, and click "delete". No more confusion.
:)

Never had a problem with ups. The slowest I've ever had packages ship was with fedex smart ship. It's a combination of usps and fedex that takes forever! Of course, the only time things are shipped that way was with free shipping so I was somewhat patient.;)

Louis, when you want to get rid of a post you made, you simply click the edit post button, then check the "delete post" box, and click "delete". No more confusion.
:)

Thank you Terry, I will keep that in mind

As for no more confusion, ... I have to say confusion follows me where ever I go.

Back