I got a new toy

fsm1000

Stephen
Thought you might wanna see this. Hopefully it will be helpful to me in making things. Will try to upload a picture if I can.

Very nice, Stephen. You can get a lot of use out of a bandsaw in building your benchwork and sub-roadbed (and other woodwork, plastics, and etc.;)) Beats the heck out of a jig saw. Do I see a vacuum hose hooked up for the sawdust?

Rex yeah thats my shop vac. Works like a charm, unlike the bandsaw aargggggggh. And I was warned too. Never too old to screw up it seems.

Well guys I hate to say this but Ryobi sucks. I was told it was the lowest grade and sure enough. I have been using bandsaws since my teens. I have never used a saw of any type that couldn't cut a straight line until now. This has got to be the worse piece of (^^$&*$*&$ I have ever used. Worthless would be putting it too high.
Live and learn I suppose. I am taking it back.
When I told my friend about it, he said 'of course, it's a Ryobi, what did you expect'.
Oh well.

So don't buy ryobi stuff. I was told it is crap and it really is crap.

The only bandsaw I've ever used was som no-name brand, but it had this very elaborate cage system to "block" against the blade breaking. We quickly learned that no matter what they say the blade breaking would still cause the top door to get flung open, knocked a few people over, lucky the blade never caught anyone. We'll avoid the actuall injuries.

While I don't have a Ryobi saw I do have a Sears. However, I have also owned several band saws in my life. While some do cut better than others, how straight they cut is generally determined by the way it is adjusted.
Blade tension and the adjusters that hold the blade are a couple of areas that come into play.
Also try to set the band saw to as close to the thickness that you are cutting. Too much space between the band guides will cause the cuts to be erratic to say the least.

Just giving you my experience and not trying to talk you into keeping the Ryobi. Although I doubt it is junk!

Charlie yeah I know all that, but this thing truly is junk.
I have done straight lines using a 1/16 inch thick blade on a scroll saw.
So I have done this stuff before LOL.
If I can get the tension right on a scroll well...
Anyhow, I adjusted the thrust bearing to within 1/64th of an inch on the upper nd lower parts, as per instructions. Also the side guides were adjusted to within 1/32 of an inch. Blade tension was 'tuned' like a guitar. I think it was "D". LOL
All that good stuff.
Thanks for the advice, but I did do my best.

As for space, it was between 1/32 and 1/64th of an inch. However the blade wandered over 1/4 inch. It is junk.
I adjust my friends table saws by General and General international. These machines start at 3 thousand and go up, fast.

This piece of junk I bought cost me only 150 dollars and it is not even worth that.

I was warned like I said. I know of nobody that likes Ryobi. Oh well live and learn.

I have some of the 18volt Robi cordless tools and have been happy with them, drill, trim saw, etc. When it came time to by a band saw I looked at the model you have. I was turned off by fact that most of the parts are plastics, mainly the frame! Owning a machine shop makes you leary of any "tool" that is made of plastic. I ended up buying one of the Craftsmen "Professional" saws. By no means is it a great saw, but it has worked for me. Although it took some work to get it to cut straight.

I just ordered some replacement blades for my old Craftsman bandsaw and they should be here next week. A bandsaw is a very useful tool in this hobby. I've never had a problem cutting straight lines with mine, and it was far from the most expensive bandsaw sold at the time. If you decide to return this Ryobi, maybe you could look into a Sears model.

Stephen,
Although I complimented your wisdom of buying a band saw, I am always reluctant to question a person's choice of brands after the fact. Years ago I bought a Ryobi variable speed drill for industrial work and the speed control tore up in about 2 weeks. I have never bought anything else, by Ryobi.

When it comes to any kind of tool, I will pay the extra for a proven track record and never buy tools that are for "home use". Some popular name brands in the trades still make crap for the home do-it-yourselfers. If you are like me, you sometimes question the higher prices of a Professional grade tool for limited use. But, I have tools like this that are over 20 years old that are still dependable and still gettings lots of "limited:rolleyes: " use.:D

I have an ooolllddd black and decker [35 years I thnk at least] drill that still works fine, just needs new brushes.
I returned the junk ryobi yesterday. WHile in line someone else was returning ryobi stuff, and then another as well LOL.
5 people in line to return stuff and half was ryobi. Wierd. In a stire that sells thousands of items you would think the ratio would be different.
Even the staff at home depot say ryobi is crap.
Oh well, live and learn.

I got some ties laid so soon I will post pics.
Had to cut them all by hand and yes my fingers hurt [dang it].

Rex I like dealt, porter cable etc. Thing is, they are owned by black and decker now LOL. Put that in your pipe and smoke it LOL.

So dewalt is now 'high end' black and decker :D
Scary eh?

Back