I already like this forum better than others..

Welcome!

Def visit the Running Bear Coffee Shop threads (a new one every month). That's where the real "characters" hang out. We've got the normal bunch of old coots, tellers of tall tales, Christain from France (Keeper of the dinosaurs), and Jaz, who we're slowly training to hit the RETURN key whenever she starts a new thought. :cool:Luv ya Jaz!

Flo and Francine are the waitresses in Mel's lovely diner. Just don't apply the word "Lovely" to Mel...

Welcome!

Def visit the Running Bear Coffee Shop threads (a new one every month). That's where the real "characters" hang out. We've got the normal bunch of old coots, tellers of tall tales, Christain from France (Keeper of the dinosaurs), and Jaz, who we're slowly training to hit the RETURN key whenever she starts a new thought. :cool:Luv ya Jaz!

Flo and Francine are the waitresses in Mel's lovely diner. Just don't apply the word "Lovely" to Mel...
Thanks. Yes, I saw the running bear thread for March. I'm slowly realizing we're from all over the world, which is awesome. You just reminded me to practice hitting return when I get long-winded :)

I'm wondering can anyone steer me towards threads with discussions on Precision Scheduled Railroading. I've only heard about it since the NS accident in East Palestine, but comments on Youtube videos have me curious about what it exactly is and how much it plays a role in the recent, frequent derailments. Bluford Shops has an excellent rr history page and I believe it was implemented on some class 1 railroads in 2019.
Try using that 'search' button in the upper right hand corner, and do it with several different terms/words.

also realize that the majority of discussions on this forum concern themselves with 'model railroading',...not the prototypes them selves.

Precision Scheduled Railroading is a method of scheduling trains to benefit the railroads. Here are several links that you might want to read regarding it.
First is the Union Pacific's definition which is highly self-serving.
Union Pacific's web page
Another from Wikipedia.
Precision Scheduling
Then we have an explanation from Trains magazine which is railroad propaganda in my opinion.
Trains article
Then I found a report from the General Accounting Office.
GAO study
It seems that unions and customers are not quite as enamored with it as any of the above.
Transport Trades Department

It is worth noting that six of the seven Class I railroads in North America have jumped on board, the only holdout is the Warren Buffet owned BNSF.
Note also that there is a lot of prototype railroading scattered about this forum that I can see.

Precision Scheduled Railroading is a method of scheduling trains to benefit the railroads. Here are several links that you might want to read regarding it.
First is the Union Pacific's definition which is highly self-serving.
Union Pacific's web page
Another from Wikipedia.
Precision Scheduling
Then we have an explanation from Trains magazine which is railroad propaganda in my opinion.
Trains article
Then I found a report from the General Accounting Office.
GAO study
It seems that unions and customers are not quite as enamored with it as any of the above.
Transport Trades Department

It is worth noting that six of the seven Class I railroads in North America have jumped on board, the only holdout is the Warren Buffet owned BNSF.
Note also that there is a lot of prototype railroading scattered about this forum that I can see.
I appreciate that. The comments on that Trains article mirrors what I'm reading in comments on YT from laid off rr maintenance workers and those who took early retirements.. cutting corners to cut costs.
One guy wrote:
"I don’t think it’s working. I see the longer trains, certainly, with far more locomotives on point and as DPUs but I’m also seeing more turbos smoking, more couplers breaking and more derailments. I also begin to wonder about some of the infrastructure, as bridges are aging and some are already questionable as to their survivability"
Another wrote:
"PSR 'will allow longer, faster trains on schedule' Remember those words. And then sit back and see if all are true. Only two words ring true: longer trains.
PSR is nothing but a lower OR figure, the darling of Wall Street. And shippers have paid a heavy price for Wall Streets baby."
----------

There was another derailment yesterday, I forget where. I found out recently that Linwood Yard in Spencer, NC shut down in 2020. It had a full maintenance facility, the new Spencer Shops. The old shops and roundhouse became part of the NC Transportation Museum. I wondered why Linwood Yard closed down.. it was a workhorse for NS.

There was another derailment yesterday
Right now in light of the mis-managed derailment in Ohio, all derailments are in the news. A lot of folks in the media and the unions are blaming PSR for the derailments, but FRA statistics don't back this claim up. The Department of Transportations’ Federal Railroad Administration has reported an average of 1,475 train derailments per year between 2005-2021. Last year there were 1,164, down from the average. Deaths from derailments have been in the single digits for the last 30 years. By the way, that's only reported derailments. I'm sure that some minor unreported ones exist all over the place. Many, many, many more people die from trespassing on the tracks or going around crossing gates. PSR has other issues that I think are more serious.

It'll take me a bit to learn to navigate this site, it's different as far as how the posts and replies are arranged compared to other forums, but this is already my favorite.
I'm brand new to a few model railroad forums. One other forum in particular seems a bit ridiculous. I have to be "moderated" until I'm deemed "not a spammer"... really? 30 posts before I can post a picture... really?
I don't even know where to post there's so many rules about "use your blog for this or that". Funny thing is, I'm on a "probationary" period until such a time I'm considered not a spammer... and yet, the very first email I receive from them ends up in my spam folder. Na, I'll pass. I haven't the time to waste in a small corner of the internet.
I've found modelrailroadforums, it suits me just fine.
I just joined myself and like it here - a lot of folks just enjoying the hobby -

It'll take me a bit to learn to navigate this site, it's different as far as how the posts and replies are arranged compared to other forums, but this is already my favorite.
I'm brand new to a few model railroad forums. One other forum in particular seems a bit ridiculous. I have to be "moderated" until I'm deemed "not a spammer"... really? 30 posts before I can post a picture... really?
I don't even know where to post there's so many rules about "use your blog for this or that". Funny thing is, I'm on a "probationary" period until such a time I'm considered not a spammer... and yet, the very first email I receive from them ends up in my spam folder. Na, I'll pass. I haven't the time to waste in a small corner of the internet.
I've found modelrailroadforums, it suits me just fine.
That's 'cause this forum is better than the others! ;)

Okay - ahh which part did I misunderstand?

Whoops, your right Terry, I did mis read the last part. I confused modelrailwayforums with another that sounds similar. I'll delete my post straight away.

@midwayglenrr

Apologies to you for my mis reading what you wrote and hope and trust that you do enjoy it here.
At least he was defending us :)
and wombat I have misread myself in the past and accidentally put my foot in it, join the club lol.

Hahaha.. It's fine, I'd rather just leave this up than make a post with wordy durds in it.. Ima good boy lol
You’ll do well here, a sense of humour and humility are welcomed. And an understanding that people can make a mistake is always welcomed,let the. man who is perfect stand up and be counted…….where are the stones….……lol….runs….

Back