Hutch's Conway Scenic Railroad Layout

The other non-messy way is to take and lay it out. then use a spray bottle to wet it. I can see where the paint brush would be useful as well!
Yes , I thought about the spray bottle but couldn't find it so I went with the brush. I'll try the spray bottle next time
I also want to try snipping some Vs to get around the curves in one piece.

My method is not cost effective but I like the results. You can try it on a small area and see what you think.

Once my first piece is down I cover it completely with another piece which extends beyond it by about half the size of the first piece. I repeat this and spend some time spreading and smoothing the plaster with my finger (I haven't tried a brush, that may be a good idea). When I reach the end I cut a piece to size so that the whole scene has double coverage.

It's very much like an old two-ply built up roof (which may or may not be helpful). I've only done a small mock up and a small amount on my layout but I'm happy with the results.

Watched your videos , you’re doing good. I really really enjoy watching others that are just starting out from the plaster cloth up, we’ve all been there. :) Just a tip when you lay the cloth down, think ahead ie where your put the cloth on the risers you can bunch up paper along it’s base to creat terrain with the cloth continuing over the bunched up paper. Buy the way don’t buy the woodland scenic cloth buy it from a craft store as bandage wrap like Michael’s or even off Amazon here’s an example https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000YQKE56/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Watched your videos , you’re doing good. I really really enjoy watching others that are just starting out from the plaster cloth up, we’ve all been there. :) Just a tip when you lay the cloth down, think ahead ie where your put the cloth on the risers you can bunch up paper along it’s base to creat terrain with the cloth continuing over the bunched up paper. Buy the way don’t buy the woodland scenic cloth buy it from a craft store as bandage wrap like Michael’s or even off Amazon here’s an example https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000YQKE56/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
This is amazon stuff. I've been listening!

That didn't work out as planned.

I'll just stick with what I know works.
I think these are what I want to run once the layout is complete. I like the old stuff. But... there will be a mix of old and new as I also own some early 1900s diesels. I think I'll be running freight with those. Getting back to these coaches below, notice there's no lettering, yay, that's for me to decide. Fun with decals, I'm looking forward to it. I can't remember the last time I put a decal on anything. I'll have to custom make them of course. I have access to a nice color laser printer at work so I just need to buy the paper.
The other thing will lighting the interior with LEDs, adding wipers to the axels to pick up the electricity. Possibly adding seats and people. This is fun stuff and I can't wait to get started. I may do the work on my lunch break at work as I've done many other things in the past. That said, I really don't have to wait for the layout to be finished to start on these. I think I'll want about 6 of these, that'll look really good behind a steam engine.

And so much for Conway, this will definitely be something else.

5571226214201902147.jpg

That didn't work out as planned.

I'll just stick with what I know works.
I think these are what I want to run once the layout is complete. I like the old stuff. But... there will be a mix of old and new as I also own some early 1900s diesels. I think I'll be running freight with those. Getting back to these coaches below, notice there's no lettering, yay, that's for me to decide. Fun with decals, I'm looking forward to it. I can't remember the last time I put a decal on anything. I'll have to custom make them of course. I have access to a nice color laser printer at work so I just need to buy the paper.
The other thing will lighting the interior with LEDs, adding wipers to the axels to pick up the electricity. Possibly adding seats and people. This is fun stuff and I can't wait to get started. I may do the work on my lunch break at work as I've done many other things in the past. That said, I really don't have to wait for the layout to be finished to start on these. I think I'll want about 6 of these, that'll look really good behind a steam engine.

And so much for Conway, this will definitely be something else.

View attachment 169037
I purchased the "combine" version of this model, and worked it over a little,

The clerestory did not have glass so I added acetate. I removed the plastic handrails and made some from wire also added a piece of real chain, also painted the trucks, faded down the body and added some decals:

combine proj 1.JPG

The plastic handrails came off easy. The smaller combine in back is an older version, that one got replaced by this one

combine proj 2.JPG

Here is how it looked taken apart. I think it was only two screws?

Here she is with the new railing, this car is on my layout all the time, I will have to get a better picture

combine with railing.jpg

The car tracks well and does not derail.

Should make you a nice train!

Thanks! ...I took it apart to put in the clerestory "glass" (plastic). Also, to paint and weather without worry of getting the slop on the windows.

I used the .020 wire, which I bent carefully to replicate the plastic ones which it came with, which I thought looked too fakey.

Also, I put a real piece of chain across between the wire railings, Did not add lights or people. The road I am modeling usually only hauled one combine car and a couple freight cars on its daily runs, I was able to find several pictures of the train thanks to the Northern Pacific Railroad Historical Association.

I can't see the chain in the photo.

I will be getting a variety of them as time and money allow but I'll start with this one and see how it goes. Next month.
Here is a better photo,

combine 1.jpg

I had a lot of difficulty getting the handrails right, finally used a round object to wrap it around for the rounded part, also used the railing I took off as a template.

I cannot read the small decal, but I thought it looked cool to have a little message by the door. It came off a sheet of caboose decals.

combine 2.jpg

I used black weathering powder to make it look more real. I only used white wash, india ink, and a coat of dull coat for weathering the combine walls and roof.

I think the other decals came from some unused locomotive or caboose sheets. I left the factory couplers on because they worked fine. I often trim the air hoses since I don't use magnetic uncouplers.

Dave LASM

Back