Hutch's Conway Scenic Railroad Layout

So last weekend I attempted to plaster cloth the ws inclines. I though I would be able to sand the lumps. Well that doesn't work very well so now I have to add joint compound to smooth it. Never again. Plaster cloth has its place but not under the tracks imo. I had a nice smooth track bed before the plaster.

Now I'm thinking of ripping the cloth up and laying my track bed and then add the plaster cloth. I really don't want to sand joint compound. 😫

Around my second layout I used the WS inclines and added the plaster only to keep the ballast from falling in the slits but if memory serves me right I added the cloth after putting down the roadbed , I may have laid the cloth first , really I’m not sure. What if you were to trace around the cork roadbed and cut out the distorted cloth Under tha5 section of roadbed?

I did not rip anything up as I thought I might. I got better as I went along and learned from my mistakes.

20230527_090841.jpg
20230527_090819.jpg

Last edited:
Why is my link not showing up? Plus, I posted a new one and that isn't showing up either.

All of a sudden my last post showed up. Weird. But I still have an error on my previous post.

Sometimes that's the best. Looks more natural that way!

Great work so far!
I drew everything up on track planning software, made centerlines for tangent tracks, made templates for various radii, etc....

I can't say all that wasn't helpful but it certainly all didn't work out and I had to do quite a bit of "eyeballing" too. I say if it looks good and trains run that has to count for something :)

I did draw it up but only to give me ideas. Both ends of my layout will be somewhat similar with 21 and 24 inch radii. Everything in between is still up in the air.

Back