hurricane irene

thebigj55

To those of you affected How is everyones layouts doing in such a storm. Are their any tips about keeping my basement layout above water.we live in massachusetts Keep safe those of you in new england getting hit right now ~John.

Mass too here John. Been watching the storm continously since Friday as it moves up this way. Not much you can do for the layout if you get that depth of flooding. An inch or two of seepage can be minimized with a sump pump or a flat floor portable sump pump although any wood legs supporting the layout will absorb some water. After all is dry a good wetting with bleach will kill off any mold on the legs that got wet. There are also commercial mold killers available at Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc., but common bleach will work as well.

While you are at Home Depot get a Ridgid model TP250 flat floor pump if you don't already have any sort of pump. They cost about $110 and use a standard garden hose for discharge. It is not automatic so you need to be with it and shut it off before it runs dry or it is ruined. Of course if you lose power any electric pump is useless.

Good luck to you and all who have been or will be affected by this storm.

John - I feel your pain.

I'm in central Maryland, and while my house isn't in a flood-prone location, I do have problems with my sump filling up rapidly during heavy downpours. This can be a scary scenario if I lose elec power and the sump pump doesn't activate!:eek: That is why I just spent a few days (and $$$) on a battery-backup sump pump system.

This turned out to be time/money well spent, since we lost power at ~10:00pm on Saturday as the really heavy winds and rain were intensifying here. I can't use my portable generator in weather like that. The backup battery did its job over the next 15 hours, until the last of the rain cleared away. We still haven't gotten our power back yet, and judging by the broad extent of damaged infrastructure - we probably won't have it back for a few more days.

Hope you get thru this OK...

Here in Bergen County, NJ we are experiencing record flooding all over. My town along the Hackensack River flooded its banks.....again. Power substation underwater, so there's no power in areas. Some area's outside of Bergen County are flooded so bad FD's can't get to houses that are on fire. Teterboro airport is completely underwater.
I have no power in my apartment complex so I've been listening ot the sound of generators all night from the 3 houses behind our building.

Its bad out here, real bad. Its not till you get off the highways that you can see it.

Ken, Steve, and others along the mid Atlantic coast states. Sorry to hear how bad you folks got hit. By the time it hit us it had worn itself down to a tropical storm but still caused considerable localised damage. We never lost power where I am but there were and still are small and large local outages in eastern Mass. I've got some small tree branches and wind blown leaves to clean up but otherwise we got through it better than I expected based on the predictions last week.

power is still out to large area's up here. I have "selective" power. If you plug it in, it will have power. But if it requiers a switch, it wont power on. So far our frige works, tv but no cable, hot water heater (thank god!) and outlets. It was nice ot have a fan on while I tried to sleep with the hum of 3 generators going behind our apartment.

The railroads up here have suffered some catastrophic damages.

NYSW has major washouts througout the northern nj area. 2 bridges might be damaged. This is serious stuff as the railroad isn't a huge hauler like some other regionals out there.

CSX has had huge washouts up and down their river sub, some have been repaired and the line might be open possibly by today.

CSX's Mohawk sub is washed out bad up in amsterdam. The locks that are next to the line have spilled over and washed away the embankments on either side. Tracks are dangling in the air.

NS on the Conrail Shared Assest's Lehigh line was flooded over, not sure of washout's.

NJ Transit and Metro North have been hit real hard. Both have a majority of there lines back up and running today. Metro North/NJ Transits Port Jervis line is suspended indefinitely due to countless washouts and possibly a bridge swept away. This poses problems because the middletown and nj can't get cars, The NYSW now doesn't have an escape route into or out of NJ and neither does NS if the Lehigh line goes down or the CSX goes down.

This storm crippled the railroads in northern nj and in upstate ny. Im sure the same can be said for railroads in new england.

The remnants of what was tropical storm LEE really messed up the Central NY and PA regions with some spots seeing 20 inches of rain. Lots of washouts in and around Binghamton,NY. CP had a huge landslide take out there D&H main, NYSW suffered the same on there Utica branch. Some tracks are back open, but man the last 2 weeks have been hell for railroads up here.

Oak tree in the middle of the barn and layout.

Thought maybe some of you might have trouble with the link. So I will add the picture.
Alan

Back