Hurdle of DCC SOUND in a older 1980s vintage ConCor-RR Big Boy

I tried stiffing the speaker in the cab w/decoder, I knew it would not be great, but it worse than I expected. Tonight I re-wired the speaker/cap set of wires to TRY and put the speaker in the tender.

The reason I tried using the cab to start with was I could not for the life of me figure out how to get the shell off the bottom chassis. Bottom line is you can NOT! Its made like a square tube with the front and rear panels GLUED/fused in place after the weight is installed during assembly. I learned that when I finally got the rear panel off, NOT and EASY task, at least not w/o destroying the tender. Riva Rossi, I HATE for this!

I cut out an oval speaker port to match the Digitrax oval speaker. Ran 30ga wire-wrap wires to the decoder speaker wires in the loco cab. I got the tender back glued back on. As luck would have it I lost the boiler screw. I RE-tapped the threads to 2-56 and used a nylon 2-56 screw, cut to length and now ALL IS WELL!

With my new found love of N scale steam sound, I just could not let my 30+ yr old Big Boy highball around my layout in dead SILENCE!

The sound is great, worth the effort, but installing it is not for the faint at heart, (at least in this older great running pre DCC steam loco).

My next challenge will be installing DCC w/SOUND in .............
............ U guessed it an old 80s vintage RR Challenger.

Back