humm never heard of this ,,,

blackz28

tonight i was talking to the guy that bought my crashed trashed & smashed bli big boy & we shot the bull for a while when the subject turned to the big boy resteration project & he claimed that the 4023 was under steam in the early 80s & the experimented with oil firing but gave up & stuff & mounted it.

ok i know about the 4005 getting the single burner back in the 40's so i tried to correct him but the insisted that the 4023 was an oil fired attempt also, ahhh i know that no big boy has been under steam since the 50's so i let it go, i mean he was a nice guy but anyways , does anybody have any info of this might be somewhat sliver of truth to it , just asking :confused:

As far as I know, no Big Boy has been under steam in a very long time.

Pretty sure the 4005 was the only one ever oil fired. Also, I have the class lights that my grandfather took off the 4023 the day she was retired.

Pretty sure the 4005 was the only one ever oil fired. Also, I have the class lights that my grandfather took off the 4023 the day she was retired.
i agree , but we have all met that guy who gets a story & repeats it & he will not be diswayed , i know 4023 wasnt steaming in the yard in the 80s or people would have had 100s of pics of it & it would have been well known

Hell even if one had been running in the 70's I am sure there'd be thousands on photos. And yeah, I have met and talked to "that guy" before...lol

Yeah those guys who think they know everything annoy the crap out of those of us who do! :D

[SIZE=+1]Basic Information[/SIZE]
BigBoy 4018 currently resides at the Museum of the American Railroad in Dallas Texas. Back in 1999, a plan was set forward to refurbish the locomotive back to operational status. Apparently, the locomotive was to be featured in a movie entitled "BigBoy", which was to be produced by HighBall Films upon completion of 4018's restoration. It had been estimated that the restoration would cost anywhere in between 3 to 7 million dollars. Unfortunately, apart from the initial overview of the locomotive, nothing more ever came of the restoration promises. It seems HighBall Films backed out of the deal, making promises they could not keep and budgets they could not secure, typical of 99% of Hollywood deals. Therefore at this point, the locomotive still resides at the Age of Steam Museum, untouched.
Will we ever see a BigBoy brought back into operational status again? The question still remains: if the locomotive was to be restored, who would operate it and where will it run? Steve Lee, head of the Union Pacific Steam Program, says no where...... According to him, the railroad is no longer equipped to handle the behemoth. Presently, they run Challenger #3985 (4-6-6-4) and Northern #844 (4-8-4) on steam excursions. The Challenger is short enough to be turned on the few remaining turntables and wyes in Wyoming and the surrounding states, those facilities just couldn't handle the extra 12 to 14 feet of the BigBoy. In addition, the Union Pacific isn't too keen on running a coal fired locomotive at this point (both Challenger 3985 and Northern 844 are oil fired). Back in the late 40s and early 50s, BigBoy #4005 was briefly converted to burn oil, it was unsuccessful. Then again, can Union Pacific actually turn down the offer if a fully operational 4000 was delivered to their doorstep one morning? I've got my money on NO! Unfortunately though, we will no have the opportunity to see if I am correct or not in the foreseeable future.

I had read in another article somewhere that coal would have to be used because oil firing would not work. I have been lucky enough to ride behind both the 844 and the 3985. What a hoot !

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=+1]Basic Information[/SIZE]
BigBoy 4018 currently resides at the Museum of the American Railroad in Dallas Texas. Back in 1999, a plan was set forward to refurbish the locomotive back to operational status. Apparently, the locomotive was to be featured in a movie entitled "BigBoy", which was to be produced by HighBall Films upon completion of 4018's restoration. It had been estimated that the restoration would cost anywhere in between 3 to 7 million dollars. Unfortunately, apart from the initial overview of the locomotive, nothing more ever came of the restoration promises. It seems HighBall Films backed out of the deal, making promises they could not keep and budgets they could not secure, typical of 99% of Hollywood deals. Therefore at this point, the locomotive still resides at the Age of Steam Museum, untouched.
Will we ever see a BigBoy brought back into operational status again? The question still remains: if the locomotive was to be restored, who would operate it and where will it run? Steve Lee, head of the Union Pacific Steam Program, says no where...... According to him, the railroad is no longer equipped to handle the behemoth. Presently, they run Challenger #3985 (4-6-6-4) and Northern #844 (4-8-4) on steam excursions. The Challenger is short enough to be turned on the few remaining turntables and wyes in Wyoming and the surrounding states, those facilities just couldn't handle the extra 12 to 14 feet of the BigBoy. In addition, the Union Pacific isn't too keen on running a coal fired locomotive at this point (both Challenger 3985 and Northern 844 are oil fired). Back in the late 40s and early 50s, BigBoy #4005 was briefly converted to burn oil, it was unsuccessful. Then again, can Union Pacific actually turn down the offer if a fully operational 4000 was delivered to their doorstep one morning? I've got my money on NO! Unfortunately though, we will no have the opportunity to see if I am correct or not in the foreseeable future.

I had read in another article somewhere that coal would have to be used because oil firing would not work. I have been lucky enough to ride behind both the 844 and the 3985. What a hoot !

A little more info.
Union Pacific studying Big Boy restoration project

Published: December 7, 2012
No. 4014 climbing Wyoming's Sherman Hill on June 25, 1949.
Photo by R.H. Kindig

POMONA, Calif. – Union Pacific may be bringing back the ultimate steam machine, an Alco-built 4-8-8-4 Big Boy, the last of which steamed more than 50 years ago.

Company spokesman Mark Davis told Trains News Wire Friday that the company has been approached by and is working with a third party interested in restoring and operating a Big Boy. He said the railroad is evaluating the condition of preserved UP Big Boy locomotives and that it believes two might be available for restoration. Davis declined to name the other party or give a timeline for the project. But at least one organization is already talking about its potential to put a Big Boy back on the main line.

The treasurer of the Southern California railroad club that owns a displayed Union Pacific Big Boy 4-8-8-4 says his group hopes to learn more Saturday about a UP offer to acquire No. 4014 for restoration and operation.

In an exclusive interview with Trains News Wire, John Mastrobuoni from Prescott, Ariz., said the Southern California Chapter of the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society is eager to find out if the railroad can meet its requirement that a replacement piece take the place of the Big Boy at the Los Angeles County Fairgrounds in Pomona. The engine is one of eight survivors of the 25 locomotives that Alco built beginning in 1941 for freight service between Cheyenne, Wyo., and Ogden, Utah until the last steamed in 1959.

Mastrobuoni said he participated by phone in a meeting Tuesday in which Ed Dickens, who manages UP’s fleet of historic operating steam and diesel equipment, appeared at a chapter meeting in California to pitch the idea. He said Dickens on Saturday is expected to provide more details about what UP would offer and called discussions “preliminary.”

The idea is already controversial, as some board and chapter members consider the Big Boy as the centerpiece of the club’s exhibit. The 4014 was donated to the chapter in 1962. The exhibit also includes a UP DD40X Centennial diesel No. 6915, UP 4-12-2 No. 9000, Southern Pacific 4-10-2 No. 5021, and Santa Fe 4-6-4 No. 3450.

“If we can come to an agreement with the railroad, an operating Big Boy is better than one on display,” Mastrobuoni said. “We’d lose the engine for display, but we’d be known everywhere as the group that helped make one run again.”

He added that rebuilding the No. 4014 would take several years with the aim of operating for the 150th celebration of the completion of the first transcontinental railroad in 2019. The coal-burning engine would be converted to oil firing.

The railroad has not publicly announced plans to expand its operating steam locomotive fleet, which includes the never retired 4-8-4 No. 844, which made an extensive systemwide tour this year for the company’s 150th anniversary of its founding, and 4-6-6-4 No. 3985, which is undergoing a major overhaul.

Contrary to Internet reports that UP has vetted the other seven Big Boys, representatives of the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, Wis., the Forney Museum of Transportation in Denver, and the Steamtown National Park Service site in Scranton, Pa., said Friday that none have been officially contacted. On its face, the engine in southern California, with its dry climate, would be among the best condition.

In addition to 4014, the following UP Big Boys are still in existence:
4004, in Holliday Park, Cheyenne, Wyo.; 4005, Forney Transportation Museum, Denver, Colo.; 4006, Museum of Transport, St. Louis,Mo.; 4012, Steamtown, Scranton, Pa.; 4017, National Railroad Museum, Green Bay, Wis.; 4018, Museum of the American Railroad, Dallas, Texas; 4023, Kenefick Park, Omaha, Neb.

you got any pics of those lights?

Here is one. This are the lights from the 4023 on the CC&C Ry. #15 in 2011 during the polar express runs.

I received the lights from my dad a few years ago and did a full restoration on them. I put new electrics in them as well as sand blasted them and repainted them. Currently they are hanging in my living room along with my Pyle National from the GCRY #18 and my caboose lights from a C&S caboose.

i agree , but we have all met that guy who gets a story & repeats it & he will not be diswayed , i know 4023 wasnt steaming in the yard in the 80s or people would have had 100s of pics of it & it would have been well known

Not quite sure what you are implying by saying this? Care to elaborate?

tonight i was talking to the guy that bought my crashed trashed & smashed bli big boy & we shot the bull for a while when the subject turned to the big boy resteration project & he claimed that the 4023 was under steam in the early 80s & the experimented with oil firing but gave up & stuff & mounted it.

ok i know about the 4005 getting the single burner back in the 40's so i tried to correct him but the insisted that the 4023 was an oil fired attempt also, ahhh i know that no big boy has been under steam since the 50's so i let it go, i mean he was a nice guy but anyways , does anybody have any info of this might be somewhat sliver of truth to it , just asking :confused:

According to many sources, the UP is really not interested in running a coal-fired locomotive on their road any longer (the 3985 (4-6-6-4) was converted to oil in the late 1980's). Naturally, the next question one asks is "why not convert a Big Boy to burn oil?". This was tried back in the 1940s or 1950s on 4005 with a single burner, without success. It has been said that it is not feasible to fire a Big Boy with oil due to the nature of the firebox (which was designed for burning semi-bituminous coal from southern Wyoming) and boiler capacity. However, 3985 was converted to burn oil and its firebox is not all that different from that of the Big Boy's.

"Soon after World War II, a coal strike plagued the nation, so the UP experimentally fired a Big Boy with oil to see if it could be done in case coal strikes forced the road to expand oil-fired districts. A standard Thomas oil burner was installed on the 4005 because it was due for a shopping. A single burner was used and the only modification was the increasing of primary air around the burner. A special fuel tank was designed at Omaha and built at Cheyenne to replace the coal compartment. The burner was specially ordered and the largest available.

"From a steaming standpoint, the 4005 steamed better than any oil burning power UP men had seen on any road. However, the single burner caused spot heating on the huge crown sheet which in turn, caused it to leak. Every trip was the same — when you looked in the firebox it was just like a rainstorm, with water pouring down so fast that it almost extinguished the fire!"

Not quite sure what you are implying by saying this? Care to elaborate?
:confused::confused::confused::confused: did you read the OP ?????? SORRY i think you missed what i was trying to say it had nothing to do with you or the 4023's lights lol, im talking about the guy i was talking to last nite AKA that guy ,HES adiment that the 4023 was understeam in the early 80s also it was done with fuel oil, we know there is no way this happened because there would have been tons of photos from railfans that watch that roundhouse like a hawk or word of mouth would have given it away, & what i meant we all know (that guy) who tells a story that is not based in reality but they say it so often they believe it to be true , & no amount of facts will diswayed him in anyway . sorry for the confusion

Back