Howdy Guys

LiveSteamer

Chessie System Railroad
Howdy Guys, It sure has been awhile since I have been here. I just finally found this forum again after being gone for how long? I sure have been busy I can tell you that. I now have a 4 month old little girl who is just so wonderful. I just again started to go through all my model trains. I did buy though: Chessie GP38-2, Chessie Boxcar, WM Safety Caboose, Western Maryland Boxcar, & 2 Signal towers. I am also planning my very first layout and hopefully will be starting it soon. Other than that, I am going to get back into the swing of things around here and see what I all missed.

Welcome aboard, Matthew. Sounds like you have a cute little girl, and they like trains too. :) Since you've been away for a while, may I suggest you go to www.nmra.com and read their Beginner's Guide? It will cover some things you may already know but will also get you up to speed on all the new things in the hobby, like DCC and what it's used for. The more reading and planning you do before actually constructing a layout, the happier you'll be.

Hey Matthew Welcome!
I am new to the site, and getting back to important things (trains)
You have a lil gal there I have the teen boy aspect. Jim offered a good link I went and read through it,, Thank you Jim!
Seems there has been so many changes in 40 years, its Starting alll over again!
Thats fun really :)
So Welcome, Ill watch for your posts!

Tim Sr.

Hi, Tim, welcome aboard to you as well. Indeed, there have been a ton of changes in the past 40 years. I built my last layout in 1976 before I built my current one in 2007. I had a lot of reading and catching up to do. I should have read a lot more and done a lot more planning, since there are some serious flaws in my layout. Unfortunately, I didn't know about this forum then. Post any track plans you come up with and let the folks here have a look. You'll get some constructive advice on how to make it work, run, and look better, and save yourself a ton of grief.

Hi, Tim, welcome aboard to you as well. Indeed, there have been a ton of changes in the past 40 years. I built my last layout in 1976 before I built my current one in 2007. I had a lot of reading and catching up to do. I should have read a lot more and done a lot more planning, since there are some serious flaws in my layout. Unfortunately, I didn't know about this forum then. Post any track plans you come up with and let the folks here have a look. You'll get some constructive advice on how to make it work, run, and look better, and save yourself a ton of grief.

Thank you Jim!
As far as putting up plans and stuff here, thats the ticket yes, my plan is do nothing yet, cept may some small purchases, but the layout, is a who knows thing yet LOL
Space is what we will factor for the whole plan, and right now is discussions of a lil more room than planned at first, who's complaining??? Love it!
I was gonna dive in and get a small board running to activate an interest in the young but now see that will not be necessary, so onward with the real plans! I had other ideas for my tax return, but seems that will be changing now.
Yes, I am reading, a lot, learning, learning what I am NOT learning too. Decision to go DC versus DCC was made by Ryan (13 year old) so thats important, we will go that way for now. Currently we are browsing many old pictures, coal mining, rural farm, etc, to get ideas.
Seems the most prevalent is an era of interest, 1850- 1900 logging, so far.
So planning we will go and soon a few ideas will be posted.

Tim Sr.

Back