How well does glued ballast stick?

rbwhale

I'm starting a 84" by 40" N scale layout. Due to our small house the layout will have to be folded up against my study wall when not being run. I'll be using Kato Unitrack. I know a common complaint is the plasticky, joint obvious character of the track, but I am reluctant to try the traditional glue/ballast route because if some of it falls off every time I raise the layout, it will cause a mess and eventually get everywhere, probably including the turnouts.

SO, if I do go the glue/ballast route is the ballast going to stick, rock hard when It goes vertical? If it will tend to flake off I'll simply weather and paint the Unitrack. I know some of you may suggest flex track, but I just won't consider it. Long story, not relevant here.

I hope some of you experienced folks can give me some answers.
Thanks

For the most part it will stay were it's glued. You will get a small amount that is lose. So yes, you will always have a small amount falling off each time you fold it up. Sorta like a Snicker Doodle cookie.

if you make it with say dap adhesives and alcohol , it will remain a bit moveable ....
if you make it with elmers white glue and water, more rigid ..
depends on the glue and the reducer used

My layout is also stored vertically, I used Gorilla wood glues as a base then, 60/40 diluted wood glue, sprayed liberally on top, and left 24 hrs to dry, then vacuumed, apart from the first 2-3 times (I probably missed some) when I stored it, nothings fallen off yet, that's 3 years ago.

My layout is also stored vertically, I used Gorilla wood glues as a base then, 60/40 diluted wood glue, sprayed liberally on top, and left 24 hrs to dry, then vacuumed, apart from the first 2-3 times (I probably missed some) when I stored it, nothings fallen off yet, that's 3 years ago.
Does this apply to scenery and ground cover as well? I forgot about that when I posted my question.😬
Doh!

Back