How to Wire HO-12 in DCC

bigB

Id like to get some assistance from anyone willing to listen.

Im new to DCC and about to start building a new layout. I plan to model it after Atlas's HO-12 "Up and Over Dogbone." For anyone who has it, the layout plan is in their intro to HO book and online at http://www.atlasrr.com/Code100web/pages/10012.htm
I plan to use flextrack instead of sectional, add two switches to the top left part of the layout to add an addtional mainline around the outside of the layout, use soldered terminal joiners as the feed to my bus wire, and elevate some of the track using styrofoam.

The layout has a reversing loop. I want to add an ARU to control it vs the atlas twin. I plan on using a Zephyr system for DCC.

My questions are:

1. Is it ok to solder the terminal joiners or is it better to solder a bare wire for feeders?

2. Anybody have any input on the best and easiest ARUs out there? I heard Tony's is a good resource.

3. Im confused about the use of insulated joiners when it comes to DCC. I understand it in DC, but in DCC, I dont really see the point unless your trying to isolate any blocks. I was going to put just 3 blocks in the layout--1 the original inner mainline, 2 the outer mainline, and 3 the program track which I plan to be the little spur in the upper middle of the layout.

4. Do you wire the layout last or as you build it? I was expecting to plan, mark the track, put down the risers/styrofoam where i want it leveling everything, put down roadbed, lay track, solder joints and wires, and test everything as i go. Sound about right?

Im getting a couple of books about DCC and reading up on here and the internet (www.howtowiredcc.com) and others and learning as much as i can before i start. I imagine most of my answers will come from the instructions in the zephyr instructions and aru instructions.

Thanks...

What you have is 2 reversing loops. You can use insulated rail joiners for each loop, or make the top of the straight section the reversing loop(only one ARU needed then). As far as you numbered questions:

1 - I solder bare wire feeders(cheaper and I can put them where I want them).

2 - There are a lot of good ARU's out there. We have Digitrax AR1 units at the club.

3 - You still have to isolate reversing sections - even with DCC.

4 - Your plan is good - test as you go.

Jim

hey thanks jim.

my understanding in dcc is that you isolate both rails ala the whole section of the reversing loop than just the control rail under dc, right?

Back