How to weather HO stuff?

Chase55671

Hey guys I had a question? Does anyone know how to weather HO stuff? I would like to weather an engine and a car? I'm not sure how to do it though...

Chase

Chase,I have always referred to pictures. My best results have been using pastal chalk. Nice thing about that stuff is if you mess up you can wash it off and start over. I have weathered with my airbrush, but I didn't care for the prep time(so many parts of thinner to so much paint) then the cleanup time only hoping I did it right enough for me. Remember you are your worst critic. Another thing to remember in weathering is thinking about how all the gook got on there. Did it wash down from the rain or did the dust blow up. Some guys I have known went with whatever color their ballast was on their layout for the dusting(weathering) trucks. Really its up to you on how you want to go about doing it. I myself have start from the bottom and worked up on my cars. On my locomotives I do it in reverse. Most of the time on the ends(bulkheads) there should be two vertical lines. THats where water and soot has splash from the car behind it or in front of it, yah no fenders on freightcars. Good luck and have fun :)

Back