How to start a G Scale outside layout?

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Ever since seeing the G Scale in Erie, I have become fascinated with it and was wondering (for no particular reason) how you go about starting one and if there are any procedural differences between G Scale and HO Scale for example.

First I'd start by buying a lottery ticket!

I'm planning an outside layout right now to haul logs (sticks) down the hill in the bush and over to the fire pit.
Some sections will be layed in an elevated "trough" and others over a bed of gravel dug into the ground.
There's videos showing construction methods on "the tube".

Rico,

Thanks and a lottery ticket is needed for almost any modelling now a days. To be honest, I didn't think G Scale was that much more expensive than GOOD HO stuff, not with standing $2000 for a loco of course :)

I saw a couple of videos and the methods are as diverse as the weather. One guy recommended laying the track on a concrete foundation for stability etc, while others are doing pretty much as you are - a good solid gravel/clay base.

Personally I would never put a layout outside anywhere where there is freezing weather. I have seen neighbors who have to constantly relay their track and fix it because the ground moves. It can get frustrating for many people. Also you have to keep up with the weeds and other plants that will grow in the tracks.

Personally I would never put a layout outside anywhere where there is freezing weather. I have seen neighbors who have to constantly relay their track and fix it because the ground moves. It can get frustrating for many people. Also you have to keep up with the weeds and other plants that will grow in the tracks.

Maintenance is a very big issue with G Gauge and why I pulled it out and put it down to experience. In my opinion, G Gauge is for people who have the time to do the constant maintenance OR have the money to build it properly where weeds and track movement ceases being an issue.

I loved my G Gauge if for no other reason than the sheer size of it and being able to "walk" about in the layout. As said, I didn't like the enormous amount of maintenance that it was going to take to keep it being enjoyable. Ironically, I went from G Gauge to N Scale, so apparently (to me) "size doesn't matter" :)

My G scale has been outdoors for 15 years now, as well as an around the room loop up near the ceiling of our living room. I started with a nearly ground level line, but dealing with the chores of track up keep and one of our dogs causing issues digging, I rebuilt as a smaller raised line(with a future bigger loop to be added). My track is 100% LGB track and turnouts, trains are LGB and one live steamer(Merlin Loco Works Mayflower). I convered my LGB engines to onboard battery a few years ago and said goodbye to dealing with track cleaning and rail joints that decide to quit working in the middle of a run session. The best way to get started is to just lay some track in the garden and run a train. You will quickly decide what works and what doesnt. My ground level in just had the track floated in ballest like the real railroads are. A spring reballest in places was all that was really needed, along with clearing leaves from the tunnel and plant trimming. The new layout is like a huge planter box, lined with weed barrier plastic(with drain slits everywhere) and back filled with peat moss and mulch. Live plants are planned with a ground cover already doing very well. A rock fountain sits in the middle(and is removed in the winter time). Buildings are lighted with a spare outdoor path light transformer and turn on every night and are lighted for 8 hours or till dawn. Mike the Aspie

Table under construction, all wood is treated
20170417_152644.jpg

Outer loop in place on temporary supports, I built all track supports out of wood later that day
20170417_175248.jpg

Here you can see the wood track support and I am starting to position buildings
20170418_164540.jpg

LGB 2073d with onboard 7.2t Nimh battery power running(5-6 hours of run time on a charge)
20170812_164722.jpg

And the whole reason I do G scale outdoors, Live Steam! Merlin Locomotive Works Mayflower class live steamer(RC controled)
20170922_172036.jpg

Back