How to repaint Lionel 4-4-0 or Bachmann HO 4-6-0 to look like a Disney theme park engine?

One of my goals is to make a Disney themed layout. But before I could start on it, the one thing setting me back is the lack of accurate scale models depicting the trains found at Disney theme parks. I thought about repainting a Bachmann N scale 4-4-0, but its small size is difficult to paint accurately and easily. And plus Bachmann's N scale 4-4-0 has an unreliable motor. Another user in a different forum repainted a Lionel 4-4-0. If you scroll almost to the bottom of the page the user posted five photos of their custom Disney trains:

I'm not a member on that forum, but for the experienced modelers here, how would I go about repainting a 4-4-0 locomotive from a Lionel starter set to look like the C.K. Holiday engine at Disneyland?

What type of paint can be used to paint the plastic shell without it dripping off? I figure that I would need to use painters blue tape to mask off areas while painting.

Is it easier to disassemble and re-assemble a Lionel 4-4-0 (to repaint it to look like a Disneyland engine) than a Bachmann HO 4-6-0 (to repaint it to look like a Walt Disney World engine)? I'm stuck deciding which is easier to do. I would hate to apply paint to something that cost over $200 and the end result is not that good...

One of my goals is to make a Disney themed layout. But before I could start on it, the one thing setting me back is the lack of accurate scale models depicting the trains found at Disney theme parks.
I would start with the locomotive that has the best representation of the one you want to model. That one on the 0-gauge site looks so different from the original (other than the new paint job) it almost makes me cringe. Rivarossi made an O-gauge 4-4-0 in the 1960s and 1970s that you can still find on ebay that look to be a much closer match then that Lionel one. eg Loco on Ebay I believe MTH made an old fashion 4-4-0 (they also make a "modern" 4-4-0 Empire that you would not want).

IF you are really considering HO there are more options. Once again the old Rivarossi (also branded as Poacher and AHM) has many versions of 4-4-0. IHC is another. Bachman has several variations of the 4-4-0 and 4-6-0. Some of the Bachmann are Spectrums their upper end line.

Many kinds of paint can be used, but "to keep it from dripping" off you will want to spray paint in many light coats rather than one heavy one. Most of us would highly suggest getting an air brush for this kind of detail work. Get other junky plastic models to practice on before you just jump into the main project. And yes, one lets the one color totally dry before masking with tape for the second color, etc for the third color. One can get decals for the stripes and stars.

Disassembling almost always makes a better looking paint job, I cannot say it is "easier" over all.

Back