How to Make Trees and Shrubs

Gave it a shot last night. Lousy picture, but the tree came out pretty good. :)

F7D4A434-C639-41EC-A04B-2A42690ABF43_zpsdaapy5lg.jpg

No they don't Kevin! ( What is " waaaaaay to much time"????)
Thank you Kevin!
btw: making a tutorial...THAT takes waaaaay much time ! ;-) in the same time I could make a lot= 20-30 H0 trees!
jokes aside: I wrote and showed it with some pictures somewhere in this thread!
post # 454 in short

Jos who thinks that a realstic modelltree needs /deserve just as much time as weathering/detailling engines,coaches, building(s) on a layout.....specialy the ones that are placed in the foreground/close in sight/eye range.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went back and looked at your brief explanation of the build. It still covered all the info needed. With my fat thumbs, it would take me an hour to do one of those trees! In an hour, I can do about 30 "standard" aka Scenic Express trees. I might try a couple anyway. I just received the long fiber flock I ordered for making tufts of weeds. Now I just need to finish assembling the static generator. Thanks again for sharing.

I lost most of my pictures at the beginning of this thread because of a "crash"of my old pc....so I replaced it with one of the pictures that still remain/is left...It is one of the first truncs I used to try this technic.
Mattcolorbirchtreetrunk.jpg

I am fairly new to scenery and am modeling eastern Utah, western Colorado canyons so not much trees, mostly scrub brush and sage and a few small tree's.

I haven't read this thread but following what Rob Spangler has been doing - I've started by getting course paint stripper pads from Lowes or Walmart and cutting them into small pieces and shaping and teasing them into small scrub bushes. Then I've been hitting them with a little 3M Super 77 adhesive and covering them with Eucalyptus or Sage ground foam. I've only done a small amount so far but with practice I am starting to get the hang of it.

As an aside, I've noticed now and then members reporting they lost all their pictures when their PC crashed. Gentle suggestion: you can buy USB thumb drives real cheap and copy your photo's over to them as a back up. If your PC crashes, you can always copy them back to the new one.

Still busy with modelling trees and landscape:
MSMrotsdiorama7okt2016totaalampbewerkt_zpsajeugzse.jpg

detail of the diorama 2 inch. x 2 inch.
dioramaEXPOleuvenHERFST6okt2016detail2_zpskmlwtexw.jpg

on a hot sunny summerday:
g15okt2016FichtendioramaPatrick2Klform_zpsrcggf0s2.jpg

landscapediorama "under construction" = no trees! ;-)
juergdioramaTEIL2indiansummer2016nov1_zps1dtq0szg.jpg

otsdiorama5okt2016detaildoodhoutKlform_zpsnl8ohg1k.jpg

and the last picture: Part of a "German"modellrailroad that is based on time era: about 1950 and almost ready...
e36191db-86e9-43d3-ae1f-1bcf4a811018_zpsezrz7z6y.png

Jos

Some small 0 scale or big H0 larches:
riksen2017febr6totaalmbbgrovedenklform_zpsifuh4cqt.jpg

and finaly some scenery with - of course- some trees....
hubbours2febr2017bos1Klform_zpsqnqmsfn4.jpg

Jos

Criminal what you do Jos, no-one should be that good. And is that a Citroen I see "whining" it's way up the cobblestones? (I had one many years ago and remember their distinctive sound)

I got a lecture from the parts dept salesman on how to pronounce the name, when buying a new leather washer seal for the water pump of my 20 year old, 1938 UK Slough produced "Light 15", when I was also 20 years old.

Thank you Edsland.
Latest efforts;
an old oaktree in winter scale H0 and about 12 inches
Faser11maart2017cbestmbbgrovedenKlform_zpsf9jmhmk1.jpg

the same in summer:
Katharina16maart2017mbbgrovedenKlform_zpstt3ojfch.jpg

and the trunk close up;
Stammdetail2maart2016mbbgrovedenKlform_zpsgpykkzyo.jpg

Jos

Back