How to Make Trees and Shrubs

Ned,
Looks good and thanks for the photo of the product you used to cover the wires. I also agree with you that the fibers Jos used are really nice and I've had many post back and forth with him on what type of 3m pads to get. I found some at Wal-Mart and Home Depot that can be used as well as on Amazon.com.

Jos-
I agree with Ned and would love to know how you get the wires wound so tight and in line. I'm sure the more you did it the better it got. If we had photos of the first trees did they look as good as these ones?

Dave

Ned,
Looks good
Thanks Dave,

I have used the coarsest pads from 3M, the rest just don't seem to work well. I found a roughly 2'X3' blue filter at Home Depot or Lowes. I think it might have been Frost King. It was relatively coarse (good) and easy to pull apart and stretch, also good.

I am ready to order some of the Deco Twister fiber from Holland. I just have to figure how to transfer the money. I am anxious to try it.

I have only done three wire armatures so far but each one got better. Sometimes I use small pliers to hold the armature or the wire I am tightening.

One help is to use longer wires to wrap with so there are fewer joints. Make the branches with the loops as Jos has shown. I also keep pushing the wrap down tight with my fingernail. (Tight as in no vertical gaps between twisted layers)

Ned

Hi everyone i was wondering what household items cloud i use instead of spray glue because i cant find it everywhere so does anyone have any ideas ??????
iv alsow found a way to make plastic out of milk and vinegar on this site :
http://www.stormthecastle.com/index.htm
so cloud it bee useful for my diorama ?????
And of course THANKS!:)

Hello Dave and Ned,

I agree with Ned and would love to know how you get the wires wound so tight and in line. I'm sure the more you did it the better it got. If we had photos of the first trees did they look as good as these ones?

All true!

keep pushing the wrap down tight with my fingernail. (Tight as in no vertical gaps between twisted layers)

May be a litlle easier by using a a small pointed kind of "forceps"(?)
something like this:
s_tanglanj.jpg
here a picture of a frame that is "under construction" and to show how it is build up with the wires I pushed each wire a little bit from its place....
btw: this is /goingl be a tall firtree or a scotchpinetree
Nedframewiresonebyonetext.jpg

Jos

Jos,

Do you have a Dial Caliper? Can you measure the thickness of the "Deco Twister" fibers?

I measured Woodland Scenics Poly Fiber and it is about .001". I bought some similar material from Sweet Water Scenery in Black. It appears thicker although my measurements show it to also be .oo1" It is less Matt like than Woodlland Scenics. In other words more like individual fibers and when cut into short pieces, the pieces are less likely to bind back together like Woodland Scenics does.

Thanks, Ned

Hello Ned,

No I don't have a dial caliper...
however I think most important of all is the fact that, as you already wrote:
the pieces are less likely to bind back together like Woodland Scenics does.
That was too one of my biggest "problems/concerns "when using the polyfibers from Woodland!!
The "trick" with the "decotwister"fibers is that they do not stick together that much and the "shape"(?) of each fiber is less twisted as the ones from Woodland!( and they are just a fraction less thin than the Woodland fibers.) So these "decotwister"fibers are a little bit "heavier" and therefore falling down easier on and over the frame of the tree when using the fibers. ....they don't "hook" that much.

Jos

Jos, just wondering if you know what the size of wire you are using is equal to in North American "Gauge", or anyone else for that matter. I would like to try some of these is HO Scale.

Is 20 gauge wire to thin for the core? And I know you are using 6mm wire for the branches and wrapping but mot sure what that is in "gauge” maybe 22 or 24 gauge?

Hello Brad,

Did some "googleling";).....:
20 ------ 0.032= diam. in inches = 0.81=diam.in mm= not strong enough I think. For N scale may be but for tall HO trees I use a wire with at least 1mm diameter

So for the core wire may be this one?:
17----- 0.0453=diam.in inches = 1.15= diameter in mm<----for the core wire!!!

For the branches/twigs I use mostly:

26 ------ 0.0159=diam. in inches = 0.40=diameter in mm

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Brad,

Did some "googleling";).....:
20 ------ 0.032= diam. in inches = 0.81=diam.in mm= not strong enough I think. For N scale may be but for tall HO trees I use a wire with at least 1mm diameter

So for the core wire may be this one?:
17----- 0.0453=diam.in inches = 1.15= diameter in mm<----for the core wire!!!

For the branches/twigs I use mostly:

26 ------ 0.0159=diam. in inches = 0.40=diameter in mm

Jos

Thanks Jos, thats what I needed. I meant .6mm in my previous post for the branches not 6 mm. Thanks again.

Hi Brad,
I am a litlte bit confused:
.6 means 0,6 mm ???

Jos

It does and I really should have showed it like this 0.6 mm instead of just .6 mm even though they are really the same thing. It’s what we get for being Metric in Canada but having Imperial friends to the south (US). So products out of the States arrive in Canada in Imperial. It can get confusing at times.

Anyway I was able to get some 26 gauge wire for branches and 16 gauge wire for the core which is the closest I could find to your 17 gauge. We really only have 16 or 18 gauge here for the most part.

Thanks Zoegraf!

made some pictures this afternoon from a fresh new pine tree....
just to continue.....and "to maintain skills" ;)
HanGrovedenBOOMkompleet20-30cm4.jpg

and a smaller one..
a young birchtree;
berkjeHOokt2010.jpg

Jos

Love the Birch tree Jos, very nice work. Just started my new layout a few weeks ago, it's on a tight budget, in fact almost no budget so recycling everything recyclable from the old layout.
Will have to have a go at making a birch or two as they will fit in perfect with my English theme

Thanks Steve and Munch!
btw Steve...these ARE low budget trees!
Specialy the birch..total costs: about 1/2 an Euro! ;-)
The big (scotch)pine tree will be about 1 euro ...max.!

Jos

Just an 0 scale tree with a H0 preiserman because I don't have an 0 scale one....;-)
rudolfOscaleTannenbaumkleinform-2.jpg

And some shrubs made from small cutted hairfibers from a hairextension!! =)( I saw/read that somewhere else on another MRR forum!!!)
struikenH0pruikvezels2011febr.jpg

Those fibers are great!! they are a lot thinner than the usual 6 mm fibers !

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:
Jos,
You telling me the shrubs are made from fake hair extensions. Where did they come from? They really look nice.

Next we'll be asking for the barbor to save the cut hair from the floor for us. :)

Dave

Back