How to Make Trees and Shrubs

Jos, real pine trees do get huge, probably to the point they look unrealistically large in HO scale if placed by themsleves. When you place them in a forest setting, they take on the correct perspective and add to the overall realism. Fabulous job as usual. :)

as usual too:

Thaaaanks JIM !:):)
When you place them in a forest setting, they take on the correct perspective and add to the overall realism
hey ...may be something for my new/future diorama!;)

Jos

just some new trees and of course a new picture nothing less, nothing more...;-)
f_12feb2009eim_419e29d.jpg

the "leaves" of the pinetrees are made of ( sieved!) coarse turf from woodland and the color is "pimped"with "rightcolor" paint out of a ratlle can...( spraycan??)

Jos

Jos, that tree on the left is a dead ringer for a California Live Oak. Even the gnarly old trunk looks right. Would you mind sending me over about three dozen of those? :D

Hi Jim and Paul,

Thanks guyz for the kind words! =)
that tree on the left is a dead ringer for a California Live Oak. Even the gnarly old trunk looks right
Well it IS an California live oak....:rolleyes::p( wasn't me...:D:D)...i think.... he he lucky me!
naaaah just kidding folks!

It has to look like an oak: nothing more..nothing less.;)
Jos

fast shrubs

Here is a small "how to" about making these "fast" shrubs/trees.

First take some fibers out of the package and take a piece of floristic wire...
f_struikenfilm_617078e.jpg

turn the wire around in the midle of that "bunch"of fibers. Just watch carefully and try to "lay"the fibers almost to one direction...
f_struikenfilm_4722614.jpg

turn the wire that tight so that the fibers are "locked" up.
f_struikenfilm_48264c9.jpg

f_struikenfilm_9551cba.jpg

Now try to give the bunch of fibers the shape of a large shrub or tree by pulling carefuly the fibers to all directions. May be you have to cut some ..just do as you like...
f_struikenfilm_9bad800.jpg

afterwards it could look like this one:
f_struikenfilm_5b99995.jpg

If shape is ok paint the fibers in a natural color. I do this with paint out of a ratllecan.

Adding some small grassfibers with sprayglue and a theesieve...
f_struikenfilm_32fe58c.jpg

f_struikenfilm_4e3ee31.jpg

adding too some , in this case, WS fine turf like weed , green grass or a kind of blended turf with a sieve...( for HO may be coarse turf?)
final results:The truck/ vehicle is in N scale!
f_struikenfilm_6585055.jpg

a kind of shrub with red leaves...
f_struikenfilm_d105063.jpg

or green leaves from NOCH:
f_struikjebenm_77937a5.jpg

2 1/2 cm = one inch and leaves from NOCH
last pic of some "big" shrubs on a N scale module...
bochtlinksklimmen2007oken0.jpg

Jos

Just an other tree................
could be a kind of pine tree...
f_pinetree200m_a8091c1.jpg

detail of the trunk and base/lower parts of the tree:
f_HOpinetree2m_bda58da.jpg

Jos

Poly-fil

Hi Jos,

As with other, I have been following your series on building trees and must say theat theses, by far, are the best, most realistic looking trees I have ever seen!

That said, I have gathered materials to build a test tree, but the only fibers I could find similar to what you have shown was a product called Poly-Fil, which is available from Michaels

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=nw0200

I'm hoping these will work...

Best Regards,
Donnell Wells

Hi Donnel,

I think those fibers will do the job as well...but , as told/written, you have to cut the fibers in very small pieces and because they are so light( not "heavy") they will , when adding/glueing on the wires=branches cluster easier to each other than the "heavy"ones I use overhere...so you have to remove a litlle bit more of the fibers that were not glued with a tweezer or a brush . If that is done just spray the ( very few fibers!!) in a color that supposed to be a "branche"color of the tree, Than add the fine grass fibers and than the "leaves"...
I know it is easier told/written than done....:rolleyes:;)
here an example of the top of a pinetree with the very "light"fibers I too used in the beginning of my "treecariere"...:D
rohlingfaserkiefer2007pe6.jpg

wish you lots of succes!

Jos

Dang, some GREAT looking trees here! Unfortunately I'm modeling the southwest desert so need saguaro cactus, joshua trees and tumble weeds. I know you can buy white metal saguaros, but has anybody ever made any of these?

Doc

Wow!

HOLLY SUPER TRESS BATMAN!! :eek::eek:

Grove! Am speechless! :eek:

WOW!

You should go commercial and sell them! :)

Man! My trees suck!!:(

Great tutotrial and great pics. You have excellent skills!

Just an other tree................
could be a kind of pine tree...
f_pinetree200m_a8091c1.jpg

detail of the trunk and base/lower parts of the tree:
f_HOpinetree2m_bda58da.jpg

Jos

Outstanding! You have inspired me to do some logging on my layout... probably some clearcutting.

Cheers!

Aquarium Filter Floss Medium

Hello,

Where can one find the Polyester Floss Filter Medium, the light Green and Blue , in the USA? I can find the white all over the place, but not green or Blue.

Thanks,

Dale

Check out home improvement stores like Home Depot in the furnace filter section. There are usually several colors of furnace filters, which you just tear up to use for trees.

Hello Dale,

I am not shure where to search /looking for these kind of fibers in the USA...but I hope this makes it a little bit easier for you to find them :
try to look in aquaria shops because they are used as filtermaterial to clean the water.....(the kitchen filterfibers are mostly to thin!)
or order some overhere: they( the fibers) weight almost anything so it wont be that expensive expensive after all! ;-)
here is the link of the company that sells the stuff:
http://www.bloemschik.com/p1750/Deco-Twister-Mocca.aspx
black brown grey green( light and dark) etc etc...

Jos

the "box" with the brown filterfibers is about 10 inches tall..so enough to make some ( 50 or more) trees in HO scale

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a scrapper for the grill that had a scrapping pad that is like a furnace filter that looks like it will work good. I'll post photos when I get a sample done with it.
Dave

just a small "update":
An autumn tree in N scale.( never done THAT before...)
I used "Blätter" from NOCH and some ( sieved) coarse turf "orange fall"from W.S.
f_vxixemcixm_978d4ab.jpg

and a "close-up from above:
f_vxixemdgum_a64b3ab.jpg

Jos

Excellent looking fall tree, Jos. They are really hard to get get right but yours is close to perfect. I was beginning to wonder what happened to you. Glad to see you're still perfecting your tree making art. :)

Back