How to Make Trees and Shrubs

About coloring the the NOCH leaves[Blätter]...( or sawdustleaves)
use deluted ( with some/little bit!! terpintin) alkyde paint . Add this mix to the lightgreen or yellow leaves from NOCH .Spread it out and Let it dry for some days on a flat surface in a well ventilated room( or in the sun outside , goes very fast= 2 hours!!) You have to experiment to get the right color and that is , just like making new kind of trees, exiting too! ;-)

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:
Tanks for the help,
but in my town i cant buy any professional railroad/diorama equipment, and the taxes for buying from outside of the country and the transport would cost my three times more than the product it self and i would have a lot of paperwork and problems.

So i am using only the alternative methods, for example jute rope for the grass (different cutting and applying an i have different grass- high or low), for the smaller plants i use thin wire and paper.

Also important is that i am making a 1:72 diorama so i don't think i could make that small leafs with an exacto knife.

For the leafs i cut a pieces of crap paper in weary small pieces.

I can upload some photos but, can you tell me where?

Sorry if im too tiring and boring and again THANKS! :)

Hey everybody look at this website, there you can find awesome tips:

These three pages are from the same website:
Don worry they are 100% safe, its just easier to click a number that to copy a link, its ARMORAMA.com.

Something different/new now: tree in scale 1:35...;) about 12-13 inches

Also made some firtrees( picea Abies kind of trees...)
the needles were made only with 4 mm grassfibers, some 2 mm and fine turf - green grass- from WS all glued with sprayglue from "BISON"
attached the pictures...

Jos

Hi Jos. I just haven't been working on it lately. Just too many other things going on. I'm carving some rocks/scenery pieces, off the layout so I can get the detail in them. Couldn't do it if the pieces were in place. But I'm stuck with one section...the same part you made some drawings of. Just have to wait until it strikes me. I'll definitely post whenever I get something going!

Something different/new now: tree in scale 1:35...;) about 12-13 inches

Also made some firtrees( picea Abies kind of trees...)
the needles were made only with 4 mm grassfibers, some 2 mm and fine turf - green grass- from WS all glued with sprayglue from "BISON"
attached the pictures...

Jos

Very nice! Are u able to take us through the step of making them

Hello Isaac!

Just start watching/reading post # 248 and further....that is the "basic "method I use to make -mostly- all kind of conifers like firtrees, pinetrees larchtrees etc. etc.
Or on: Nscale community Scenery thread: how to make trees in any scale.. post #251 and further....

Jos

Hy everyone!

Il just be short and simple:

Does anyone know a way to make good, realistic leafs, but witouth specialized products (wodlanscenix,NOCH, etc.), cheap and alternativei in 1:72 ?

Thanks! :)

Nice idea, im using a few, layers of filter (flowershop) fibers in different sizes to make the small branches, and then i put small peaces of crep paper , but i can paint it, so im looking for a good way to make the leafs.

How did people make them before NOCH, wodland schenicks,... ?

I also found this website , it would be awsome if i clout somehow cut the leafs after printing, iv tried everything, and in 1:72 its very hard, does anyone have any ideas how to cu them out?

THANKS!:)

Hello Cika tetreb,

Ever thought about tea -leaves???? shredered and sieved and colored with deluted alkyde paint???
Of course I mean the stuff that is in the small bags ...after enjoying your tea, let it dry and voila (almost!) leaves in scale 1: 35..only thing to do is "shredder" and coloring !
You have to drink alot of this stuff lol to get many leaves!

Jos

Thanks for the tip grove den, thats something alike what i do, i jut cut small peces of crap paper, because the tee leafs would root, wont they?

What kind of paint is deluted alkyde paint, is it oil paint, enamel, acrilic, water,..?

THANKS!
You people are awsome! :)

Hello Cika tetreb,

Alkyde paint is mostly paint you can delute with terpintin so oil paint is also included...;-)

NO acryl or waterbased paint!!
Mostly it is used "outside"....

btw if you dry the tea leaves carefully and paint them with deluted alkyde paint or oilpaint I think it will last for at least 20 years... By the time the loose from the tree I think your skills to make trees are ten times better the the ones you made for 20 years ago! so you can make new ones!!!=))

Thanks, tomorrow il go to a paintshop, il see if they have any smaller buckets of oil paint (for fences and stuff), its like enamel paint, but it should be cheaper ;) :D .

Indian ink also comes in various color.
THANKS! :)

Back