How to Make Trees and Shrubs

Jos, here's a site/page that shows some Sequoia's, in case you're interested.
Looks like there are 32 pages of the trees.

yes Munch I am aaaaaaalways interested in "big"trees( and the young type ones...) so please if you could be so kind to show this site /page??
Thanks in advance!

jos

Thanks Zoegraf for that wonderfull picture!!:eek:

right now I am trying to modell some young "small sequoias..
about 10-12 inches... for a 0n3 logging layout...
sequoiasho2kleinform.jpg

It is( as usual!!) far more diffecult as I thought it could be!!!:(
here a picture of the results so far...the foliage looks like it is still to "airy" for some very young healthy sequoias!
these trees are not common in my country , only some in big large parks around old castles or so....so I have to search and watch and make pictures of them...

Jos

If the figure wasnt standing there. I would have sworn up and down that they were real trees and not models.:cool:

You'r right Munch but the information about how to make these typical pine/firtrees is "devided"in many pages so...

Chris , here an "instant" how to....in this case some N scale trees.
starting with making the frame from wires bought in a flowershop....adding the bark with the sawdust.
f_1ixokkon7bbm_14a0a61.jpg

....coloring with cheap wallpaint....adding the fibersJUST A LITTLE BIT...adding the 6 mm grassfibers ...adding the 2 or 1 mm grassfibers.
f_1wfxcyn92apm_8dab150.jpg

...sprayingthe twigs(=fibers+grassfibers) dark green
f_1lxrtw4ahm0m_2ef914b.jpg

...adding the fine turf with a sieve...that's it!
f_vxixek58sm_f382279.jpg

and here some in h0 scale...
f_1620bmyd51fm_c576157.jpg

I forgot to mention that I use sprayglue to glue the fibers and the fine turf.

Jos

You'r right Munch but the information about how to make these typical pine/firtrees is "devided"in many pages so...Jos

Thanks for the pics and description. I get this entire post is about making trees but you nailed it. I was intrested in how you make your pine trees as well as the others provided in this post. Are your trunks made in the same fashion of spinning the wire with a drill method too then?

Hello Chris,

Are your trunks made in the same fashion of spinning the wire with a drill method too then?

No ...the trunks are made with - a kind of- "core" wire...from about 1 or 1,2 mm diam.

the tree before its getting a layer of primer...
f_RohlingTannm_76c1480.jpg

here a close up picture of the frame of firtree
It is already painted with primer...

f_RohlingKlebm_abeb371.jpg

As you can see , the smaller thin wires are twisted around the "core" wire...

for the decidious trees I do/start exactly the same just like these small N scale frames...
I start with making large loops and while getting to the top a little bit smaller....
I drill the large loops again so 2 or 3 smaller loops will "ocure"...I cut these small loops in the midle and: voila...you've got 2 small twigs for each loop!!! tataaa!
f_10qxj85p0v4m_22145fd.jpg

for bigger HO trees I start like this:
f_hmbaim_302b23c.jpg

and after a lot of twisting.... results in this:
f_efi6csmci3sm_cb0ac17.jpg

and when ready...like this:
f_16v6i6da09wm_1d2fd10.jpg

Jos

Thats some great looking work. I have a question, after you get the wire cut for the branches and you prime the tree what do you do for the bark (sawdust)?
Dave

Thanks Dave and Chris!
dave@:
what do you do for the bark (sawdust)?
The bark is made totaly out of very fine sieved sawDUST( from MDF)...some minutes after adding the sawdust on the frame, mostly at least 2 or 3 layers, I "draw" with the point of an exacto knife/blade the relief/"small lines" in the bark...let it dry and it will be as strong as wood! (he he... just like real...)

Jos

All the sequoias are ready and planted on a piece of foamboard...
f_12mv0dcy4r4m_a9ad6a4.jpg

let them grow for another 3000 years!:)

Jos

HEY... now just hold on a minute here!
How do we know for sure that's not your thumb holding up a postcard or something?? :D
Excellent work as usual Jos!

Jos,
Those are great looking - I think you've outdone yourself with these. I love the way you have the lower branches are older looking with a browner color.
Dave

Thanks Zoegraf for that wonderfull picture!!:eek:

Jos

Here's a a shot of me on a red cedar in BC Canada so tall I couldn't get all of it into frame and a shot of a stunted yellow cedar that is 1200 years old. Also me next to a snag (dead tree) that has died many years ago. They appear silver in colour at dusk when the sun hits them. The sang is about 80 meters high and that is with its top missing.

Here's a a shot of me on a red cedar in BC Canada so tall I couldn't get all of it into frame and a shot of a stunted yellow cedar that is 1200 years old. Also me next to a snag (dead tree) that has died many years ago. They appear silver in colour at dusk when the sun hits them. The sang is about 80 meters high and that is with its top missing.

That first photo looks like something out of a movie like Lord or the Rings or somesuch. Dang that's beautiful.

That first photo looks like something out of a movie like Lord or the Rings or somesuch. Dang that's beautiful.

Sure is and here is a shot of the area where it was taken, a god chunk of this temperate rainforest area has been logged now.

The other shots are of giant red cedar, me amongst a grove of firs, and a forest scene to give you an idea of the scale. Hard to shoot these because the branches on them are about 80 to 120 feet above the ground.

These trees would be interesting to model and would be very large on one's layout, but I don't think any railway tracks would have been near anything like this; perhaps an old growth remnant nearby would have been seen near the tracks on Vancouver Island in the 1950's.

Back