How to Make Trees and Shrubs

@ eTraxx:

... ahhh .. excellent as usual. I got my supplies .. see what I can do .. but DARN! You set the standards high!!

Think that will be no problem for you sir... just watched your digital drawings on your website of the tank(oil) !! whow and eek!
just, too, take your time for it! :)

Jos

My very very very latest trees: "small" Sequoas...3 HO( max.20 inches) trees growing close together .
somewhere in a Belgium parc/garden.......
aamammoetbomengroepho20e.jpg

Beautiful! I love the attention to detail especially the surface roots.

Dear Tree Model Entheusiasts,

My first visit to the site and very impressed. I am perfecting a technique using Solidago canadensis (Canada goldenrod), dried after fall seed set period, to produce excellent elms, aspen, and basswood trees. My last posted attempt does not stand up to what is on here, but I found that if I strip off the seeds carefully, that produces an excellent bare tree, and have added some Scale Model Material, piece by piece, to make some very cool, authentic trees. The tree diameter would be about 12" and heights about 40' and up, which is realistic. I am going to get this on when my grizzley flats station is completed, and I get a little more done on my train board. We have about 10 acres of this goldenrod.

Thank you for the cool ideas. Logandsawman.

Give us a photo of the armature when you have a chance. There are plenty of photos online of the plant but none that I found stripped down as you said.

No switches to connect or locos/trains/engines/rosters to show ...also no cars of ...feet long...only trees...:p
here my latest efforts....
starting with , what else, a scotchpine:
kiefer2010maerz.jpg

some scotchpines together...:D
scotchpinetrees2010apri.jpg

an oaktree:
oaktree2010april.jpg

some pinetrees:
rudolflaerchenkleinmaar.jpg

and finaly, I know spring has just started....but the color of the foliage is great!( Polak)
autumntreesteve2010apri.jpg

Found some pictures of my very first efforts making trees starting the technic I 'm now using...(about 6 years ago)
ersterversuche2004.jpg

and one of the first frames made of wires, including the 1 euro coin !;)
meinerstergeruest2004.jpg

they improved a lot I think...:D

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell you what mate, the shot of the pines above could be an actual forest were it not for the thumb in the shot, this really does give an idea of just how detailed they are. Brilliant work again.

No switches to connect or locos/trains/engines/rosters to show ...also no cars of ...feet long...only trees...:p
here my latest efforts....
starting with , what else, a scotchpine:
kiefer2010maerz.jpg

some scotchpines together...:D
scotchpinetrees2010apri.jpg

an oaktree:
oaktree2010april.jpg

some pinetrees:
rudolflaerchenkleinmaar.jpg

and finaly, I know spring has just started....but the color of the foliage is great!( Polak)
autumntreesteve2010apri.jpg

Found some pictures of my very first efforts making trees starting the technic I 'm now using...(about 6 years ago)
ersterversuche2004.jpg

and one of the first frames made of wires, including the 1 euro coin !;)
meinerstergeruest2004.jpg

they improved a lot I think...:D

Jos

EXCELLENT! You are an extraordinary artist.

All I can say is wow. Those are more realistic than most of my rolling stock. :) Great work man.

It's nice to now see that your first efforts looked like mine!! I'm getting better, but now I've got to make some of your pine trees. Fantastic, Jos.
What are the trunks/stems made out of in that "old" photo of the deciduous trees?

I'm working on the layout revision you helped me with. Will post some photos
when I get something going.

Thanks RW&C and Munch!
@Munch: the "old "trees were made of thick wire ( 1 mm!!)and sticked in a
"groundpin" made of a wooden dowel( diam.: 8 mm)
the bark , than, was made with sieved dryed fine sand/clay from the garden outside... whow like in the stone ages;-) ...so there is hope RW&C!!! =)

Jos

last "new" old pine trees... I love these big ones....
f_17aoqi0fcaqm_5f1ab3b.jpg

and the trees in their natural habitat:
f_1mnkniqh60rm_7d7ea79.jpg

in my backyard...;-)

Jos

Thanks zoegraf and Motley!!

Ok ....I can...if...pm me =))

but it is/is it more fun to make them by yourself!? ;-)

Jos

Jos, I'd say you've improved just a bit in the past six years. :) Of course, I'm trying to get my trees to look as good as your six year old variety. :D

Thanks Jim!!! and yes the improvement goes very slowly!! but it DOES and just a tiny little bit per year! =)
Well it is summertime so almost no activity on mrr-ing....
just some pics I made last month of some "new"trees wit an N scale truck/vehicle
f_1doj54sd579m_b45ebca.jpg

f_1f38o9x6icfm_5960bad.jpg

of course the trees can be used in h0 scale as well! ;-)

Jos

Jos, great trees, as usual. In looking at the shot again, the one thing I noticed is that there are no small trees. Usually a forest is a mixture of young, mature, and dying trees. Seems like a few smaller trees would help fill in that scene.

Incredible!

I found this old shot I took years ago, which reminds me of your trees. These prototypical trees are about 60 meters high and over 500 years old, which are not considered very old trees in the old growth forests of B.C. I did a lot of hiking in forests back in the early 1990's especially the virgin rain forests of B.C.

Thanks Zoegraf for that wonderfull picture!!:eek:

right now I am trying to modell some young "small sequoias..
about 10-12 inches... for a 0n3 logging layout...
sequoiasho2kleinform.jpg

It is( as usual!!) far more diffecult as I thought it could be!!!:(
here a picture of the results so far...the foliage looks like it is still to "airy" for some very young healthy sequoias!
these trees are not common in my country , only some in big large parks around old castles or so....so I have to search and watch and make pictures of them...

Jos

Back