How to Lay Out Easements and Superelevated Curves

Nice video. Easements and super elevation do make a difference. I am in HO scale and started my layout over 30 years ago hand laying code 70 track or using flex track. My curves are super elevated, but i a different way, and trains look really good coming out of curves onto level track.

Nice work.

I pretty well just eyeball them, gradually working into the radius. Click in the "New Cab Ride" in my signature below and you can take a rode over the layout. My minimum radius is 32" but most are a lot broader. I used the open grid method, using half inch plywood for sub road bed and used a level to set the super elevation. It's hard to see in the video. Using flex track, an easement is almost automatic. When I first got out of the service and was living in Florida I was in train withwrawal and built a small N scale layout I could slide under a bed. The guys at the hobby shop introduced me to flex track around 1972 and I would never consider and sectional track since.

Here are a few photos of the old N scale layout I tore out in the late 70's

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron.......nice video....that is how I did my easements. In building my layout, I installed acurve without an easement and another one with an easement. A noticeable difference. All my curves now have easements. On the super elevation I used .20 .30 & .40 styrene strips. Another great affect but I think maybe little less noticeable than the easements. But I do like the affect. All my mainline curves are super elevated.
Chet...... Nice pics of your n scale railroad.......I see you have some pacific northwest operating fluid in the lower left corner.......lol:p

Chet,

That is also how I figure my easements as well, all by eye and moving trains past each other, by hand, before fixing the track down.

Back