How to keep the lighting from coming through the building walls?

mattm1124

Hello,

Not sure if this is the correct sub forum, but what type of paper/material do you put on the inside of your buildings/houses so the lighting doesn't shine right through the walls?

My faller kits come with the papermasks to keep the light only coming out of the windows. The walthers kits don't come with any type of paper mask and the light comes through the siding also. I tried some different color construction paper, but wanted to see what you all use.

Thanks!
Matt

I will follow the crowd here. I paint the insides black. I paint while still on the sprue if it’s a kit. Scratch building is usually done before glue up, but sometimes it’s easier when the walls are partially assembled but before glass is added to the windows.

I have used black construction paper that as Willie wrote needs much trimming.

I have also used black electrical tape. Not worth the costs and also needs trimming and is even more work then the black construction paper.

Have fun

PCB012 Power Distribution Board Self-Adapt Distributor HO N O LED Street Light Hub DC AC Voltage Train Power Control https://a.co/d/2996CJl
I have used this board which offers a dimming feature. By dimming down the led’s you get a lot less bleed through the walls.

The paper or card is best for joins where the model may have gaps paint might not stop leakage,if you can be bothered do the lot, but the paint is usually enough and quicker, and way less fiddly.
I would always try paint first,then go card if not enough.

although sometimes you can take advantage, these northern light railway building near a loft windows gets light in through the roof, and I photograph it taking advantage of the bleed,but this is definitely an unusual one that I took advantage of

Attachments

• 328DD2BC-5F11-4BCE-AD1E-63AE2AAA6817.jpeg
    328DD2BC-5F11-4BCE-AD1E-63AE2AAA6817.jpeg
    412.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 43955810-E8B1-4510-A778-7C3A039BB2DA.jpeg
    43955810-E8B1-4510-A778-7C3A039BB2DA.jpeg
    463.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 513026E9-8346-44F4-90DF-29B7CE2CDE94.jpeg
    513026E9-8346-44F4-90DF-29B7CE2CDE94.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 61
but what type of paper/material do you put on the inside of your buildings/houses so the lighting doesn't shine right through the walls?
Do NOT use permanent magic marker. I did that once and it worked great for about a year, then the marker seeped through the walls and I had bluish black stains on outside of a white church building. I painted the building again, the marker came through the new paint. I tried again. Same thing. I threw the building away.

I paint the interiors black (Tamiya or craft paint) and where there are interior seams I cover with a thick bead of Foam Tack glue (think Aileen's). After that dries I paint it using the above colors.

Back