How to find obscure steam engines?

Andy

I have been out of the model railroading loop for a long time, though when I was a young kid I was fanatic about collecting and running trains. For some reason that childish spark has come back to me and I have dusted off my decent collection and looking to acquire more engines. I have trains in a few gages, but predominately in N and HO.
So, lately I have been looking around Ebay and Google for some beautiful steam engines I read about in an encyclopaedia of trains I have. But the thing is, I can find no copies of them anywhere; and I think it is more of that I do not know where to look as opposed to that they do not exist.:confused:

For example, I am looking for:
- a German Class 01 4-6-2 steam engine with full depth smoke deflectors
- a German Adler 2-2-2
- a British class A1 4-6-2
- a French Class 231 C 4-6-2
- a French 4500 class 4-6-2
- a German P8 4-6-0
- a British Johnson Midland Single 4-2-2
- an Italian Vittorio Emanuele II 4-6-0
- British Lion class
... and older European engines, particularly those with 2 drive wheels.

I'd really like to know where to look for these kinds of locomotives. Also, I am on a very limited budget being both a touring musician and a college student. But I do find these engines very aesthetically appealing and would gladly save up to acquire one or two, after I finish paying off my guitar that is on layaway. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Back