How to distinguish 2 similar locos

Unfortunately they are identical with exception of the numbers, 102 and 103. I run them a lot in a consist, which is why I bought them. They run very nicely together but sometimes I separate them and pull shorter freight loads and it’s really easy to get confused. I like the GP P2k versions for their affordability and detail. I purchased both of these a few months ago and put decoders in them recently. Very good runners and pullers.

One way is the paperwork that can go with the trains. Switch lists, train lists, CC&WB, Train orders, track warrants and other paper has the engine number on them. Get a clear plastic baseball card holder and some pieces of paper, put train names/ID's one one and engine ID's on the other. Then the engineer carries that around. For example put the engine number on the card holder and the train ID on the card.

This was my final solution after lots of really good suggestions. I put the winter covers on and 1 of them must be from an ATSF zebra because it is black.

Attachments

• 4E24C082-D164-41DE-9C32-3A22AB0B51A9.jpeg
    4E24C082-D164-41DE-9C32-3A22AB0B51A9.jpeg
    477.6 KB · Views: 83

Back