How to build windows?

I recently started building a car repair shed, modeled after a picture. The windows that I cut, are 1 inch and 1.5 inches, which makes for pretty large windows and I can't seem to find any that will fit in these large holes, for sale online. So does anyone know how to make them?

If you can find a hollow styrene box of the right size (or nearly the right size), you could just cut sections of that and glue them on as window frames. If you're good with scissors or a hobby knife, you could try making the frames from cardstock.

You could try purchasing a ready made window from Tichy or Pikestuff and then constructing the building around the windows. I believe there is an article in the this months Model Railroader that shows just this type of construction. In your case the windows could be stacked to make a larger window. This would work for both wood and masonary style windows.

Just a thought.

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
That would have been a good Idea, but I got excited and already built the whole thing and I just left the window holes open, dumb idea now that I think about it. Maybe I should buy some windows and cut them in half and then glue them together at the right width.

There was a layout article in Model Railroader a few years ago where the guy talked about drawing the lines on his windows. He was an architect, or something. Can't remember what he used, but he claimed the lines were closer to scale than any castings could be.

In one of my old modelling books, there's a cardstock station where the guy drew the window frames onto clear plastic using--I think--a drafting pen. Looked pretty good. If I remember right, the book is an old edition of An N Scale Primer, Kalmbach. If you want I'll look for the article.

That would be nice if you could do that for me. I definitly think a drafting pen would be alot cheaper than buying windows that don't fit and then trying to fix my building to cover up the holes. Plus the windows don't have to be extremely detailed as it will be half hidden between more buildings and lots of trees.

Found the book. :) N Scale Primer by Russ Larson, Kalmbach, 1974 edition, no ISBN number.

It was ruling pen on acetate (presumably used with a straightedge).

1-1.png

They don't look razor sharp, but, like you said, they don't have to be perfect. Here's the cover of the book as well.

3-1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats great I have a ruling pen, and acetate sheets are really cheap. But, I usually use india ink with my pen, but is there a white india ink that he used or is there a white ink?

There are two options that I see. I don't know how long you have been building models but the easy sure way to go is buy a window grab bag from Grandt Line for around $20. These bags come with around 60 windows of every shape and size imaginable...OR you could look up vacum forming windows on youtube and go that route. You will need a shop vac,flourecent light gaurd,heat gun,drill,block of wood,plastic film and a saw.

I honestly have no idea. I've only ever heard of black india ink. You can get white painting ink in an art supply store, which is pretty low viscosity and would probably work with your pen. Whiteout is probably a bit too thick and gloppy.

A thin-tipped white paint pen might also do the job. Again, try an art store.

You could just print the window panes on good quality matte photo paper and put them cut out and behind the outer frame. I make up stuff like this in photoshop. I noticed most windows seem to be black from a distance anyhow - so these are black with a touch of streaked blue reflection added.

Print the quad windows out on your printer and give it a try. This is the only way I could get scale width panes.

Back