How the Grande Valley does it

C

catt

The Grande Valley railroad just got a multi-year contract hauling prime Michigan silica sand to a new glass making plant in southwestern Michigan.

The only problem was we din't have any cars available for this service.Since the contract doesn't go into effect till 2-1 06 we have had time to come up with these cars.

sandhop1.jpg

These are just two of the 16 cars needed to start the servive but they don't take long to build.The basic car is an ATLAS N scale 70 ton ore car with a roof modified and added from old AHM,Con-Cor 4 bay PS2 covered hoppers that are being converted for woodchip service to the re-opened paper plant in Plainwell,MI..

i think that was a GREAT idea catt! looks like you got the roofs to fit on the ore cars quite nicely.;) good job:), -Dean

I agree, they look like they were fit perfectly! Also the cars look excellent as well. Keep us updated on your progress.
Chris

Hi Catt, I'm real proud of you. Let's see! you take two cars, cut the roof off one, attach it to the other and end up with two pieces of great looking rolling stock that you need. No scrap! or minimal at the best. :) Excellent work thanks for posting your idea.

Perhaps during the construction of the next ones, if you would use the camera for a bit of a How To Do It I'm sure it would be appreciated. Although some of us are doing HO the idea can be adapted.

Cheers Willis

Willis,unless my feeble mind has totally failed me Walthers has an orecar in HO that is about the same capacity and style.At this point the cars are not altered in any way the rework is all in the roofs.

The roofs in this case are simply cut down PS-2 hopper roofs.In my case they are from the 4 bay version and I used just the center section with a modified roofwalk.

If I were doing these in HO I think I would use a PLANO etched roofwalk or if I copuld find them the plastic (though see thru) roofwalks for the Con-Cor 60' boxcar kits.

These cars may yet get etched roofwalks and some BLMA detailing parts added to them.

Thanks Catt, it's a great project and I was thinking it might entice some members into kitbashing. LOL I'm trying to think of a requirement on my layout.

Cheers Willis

Don't know how I missed this before, but what a great idea, Catt. Any chance you've got any more photos of these yet?

Back