How do you save money?

Josh

The way we worked it was I work the hours, then we started an account, I get paid (it's not a lot) $6.00 an hour, plus I get a little better then normal discount, plus you get first dibs on new stuff when it comes in ;)

All the guys at the store are paid in trains, and all but myself are retired, so it is more the fun part then work. Be warned though, there are days it does feel like work. The last 3 days I worked, we broke sales for the year before. Must be my great salesmanship ;)

jbaakko said:
Great thought, one of the hobby shops I use, is moving to a vacant storefront about 2 blocks from my base.
Who? Who? :D I don't "do" freeways any more, so I might have better luck getting TH to chauffeur me there than to La Mesa.

Chip,I use to be one of those high price whiners.Then I realize I was being a hypocrite because I am yet to pay full MSRP as I always bought at the lowest prices I could find and still do.Limited runs doesn't mean zip as most on line shops order more then they need for stock.I been buying $99.00 engines for $59.99-64.99 depending on type and how long they been out.I don't bother with e bay because I can usually find what I need cheaper on line.It pays to shop around even on line as there are deals to be found by looking.:D
When I do order I order enough to help off set the cost of shipping by buying at discount.
I also have 3 discounts shops that I visit and one of those shops cuts me some good 2 fer or 4 fer deals.
Contrary of what you may have read on some forums one can Scrounge some full sheets or nice size pieces of insulation foam,plywood and boards from housing construction sites that is left over and 99% of the time it will be hauled off to the local land fill.Why? Once the material is paid for by the construction company that won the construction bid,the material can not be used on another project because it was included in the construction cost in the bid for that housing project and paid for by the firm having the housing project built..BTW..This is called over run because contractors like to cover waste costs due to mistakes.Its a very common and acceptable practice.

I know a guy locally that built his switching layout out of good use pallets.He covered these pallets with foam,added all the normal trimmings you can't tell this layout is made out of pallets he got at no costs..You see the company he works for was going to trash the pallets anyway..

Back