How do you organize your styrene?

mtrpls

Ignorance is Patriotic
I am looking for tips on how to best organize your styrene collection.

As I've moved on from project to project, I've amassed quite a collection of styrene from both Evergreen and Plastruct. I've purchased several sizes, with many strips per bag, but usually there are several strips leftover in the bag after I am done with a project. I now have a loose collection of styrene bags containing all different shapes and sizes.

I am trying to bring order to what has become a disorganized clutter of leftover styrene pieces in a large tupperware box. I'm debating on how to best organize the collection: by width, height, etc?

We all can't have those nice turning display racks that we see in hobby shops, where each individual size is put into its proper slot (there must be hundreds of slots on those racks!) As many of us work in tight spaces, we need to come up with a better solution for organizing our leftover styrene pieces.

I'm looking for tips and ideas on what fellow modelers have done so that they can instantly identify the proper sized styrene when a project calls for it. What is your method of organization?

i find thickness to be the most important attribute, so I would store it accordingly.

I have mine in sorted into four thicknesses and slid in a tall box beside the workbench.
Any significant shapes or scraps are in one of three containers.
I just throw the rest out or give it away. (I sell the stuff so I get rather wasteful at times)

I use a variation on those letter sorters with the vertical fins and sort the styrene by thickness. You can get/make/cut down one to fit in a drawer.

Back