how disappointing

jim81147

been laying track when I have a chance and finally got enough done that I would be able to run a loco . I hooked up all the feeders to the bus , hook up my Prodigy Advance 2 Squared , plug it in and ............nothing. The thing will not power up . Read through all the trouble shooting in the manual , checked connections and my AC supply again and still nothing . Manual says if the box does not power up send it back in for repair. Well I guess I will get a first hand look at MRC's customer service . Hopefully it wont take 2 or 3 weeks .

That is very disappointing, I feel terrible for you.

Use the time to read and or hook up a DC transformer and test your track. If you don't have one pick up one cheap. You can always use it later for accessories or lighting.

I hope you get your system back quickly, but in the mean time hang out with us and talk trains.

Stop by the coffee shop and you can talk about almost anything.

I've had similar experiences, no fun.
Like Louis sez use this time to test and tweak.
Good luck with the repairs!

Well , today makes 1 month that MRC has had my unit. In a call to them , I was told probably another week or two. Not only is this frustrating from the point of not being able to run my trains , but it also worries me that if they have that much to repair , the quality of their product cant be very good . Definitely a red flag for me . At this point , with my concerns , I am thinking it might be best to just bite the bullet and buy a different dcc controller , I just have no idea which one . This MRC unit had lots of good reviews and an economical entry point .....crap !!!

My Digitrax controller was in the shop for about 5 weeks.
There was not much wrong with it. They were that much behind.
Same with my throttle.

I've had the Prodigy Express2 for just over a year now and haven't had any power or controller issues at all. But back when I bought it I only used the MRC decoders. Stay away from them. I now use only Digitrax decoders now. Every one of the MRC decoders has died for no apparent reason. Most only lasted about 6 months. Now I'm not talking about 1 or 2 decoders, I'm talking 15 decoders. All the MRC decoders have been replaced with Digitrax decoders. I've only had 1 Digitrax die on me and that was a miswire on my part. Sent it in to Digitrax and they replaced it no questions within 10 days. No changes were made to my track wiring, the Digitrax decoders work fine, the MRC decoders are just junk.
I like the Prodigy Express system, especially the Read function. But If I was starting over I think I would go with the Digitrax instead of the MRC.

35tac .. It was a brand new unit purchased from MB Klein . I installed it on my layout and went to turn it on and nothing , never even a flicker from the power lights.

diplost .. are you talking about decoders you installed on locos that did not have them previously? I have only 2 loco's now , both Bachmann and both with factory installed decoders ( at least that's what I believe I have) . I have 2 atlas loco's on backorder and they too are supposed to be dcc equipped. I don't have to put new decoders on all these do I ?

Don't ever buy anything MRC, anything ever.

When they return it to you repaired. Sell it on ebay and buy an NCE system.

I second brakeman. Pretty strong stuff. I have MRC Prodigy 2 and have had no issues. I also have the fortune or misfortune to operate NCE and Digitrax. I would hope that when you get your Prodigy back you post the results. My bet is that the unit was returned to MBK and assumed everything was OK. If not MRC will make good which is my experience. My MRC Prodigy 2 wireless has been flawless.
Thanks
Wayne

I used to use MRC transformers years back before getting a walk around throttle with memory. (Yes, I'm still using DC) and had no problems. I managed to get some transformers from MRL Dave which I'll be using for lighting. The make good products.

You can let a lemon in anything from a Cadillac to a TV set. Customer service is what seems to be the problem.

With the number of DCC problems I have seen on forums it sort of make me happy I'm still operating with DC. Hopefully they'll get things sorted out shortly. Pullin' for ya.

That is a very strong statement. IMHO the only bad thing that MRC has ever made are their decoders. Their power packs and other items have been and still are some of the best on the market. I had a MRC pack, that lasted me from the late 1950's until the 1980's. Here I'm going to be a little bias and say the Tech II series of packs were the best packs ever made. I still have 2 that I use for testing, both 2500's and I intend to keep using them for that purpose until I hook them up to power lights on my layout.

been laying track when I have a chance and finally got enough done that I would be able to run a loco . I hooked up all the feeders to the bus, hook up my Prodigy Advance 2 Squared...
A side comment. It is usually better to hook up the bus to the DCC unit first. Make certain that works. Then add feeders one at a time, testing a train on each piece of track. That way if there is a problem with the track/wiring you know exactly which section caused the problem.

That is a very strong statement. IMHO the only bad thing that MRC has ever made are their decoders. Their power packs and other items have been and still are some of the best on the market. I had a MRC pack, that lasted me from the late 1950's until the 1980's. Here I'm going to be a little bias and say the Tech II series of packs were the best packs ever made. I still have 2 that I use for testing, both 2500's and I intend to keep using them for that purpose until I hook them up to power lights on my layout.
As far as I know the only misfire in the MRC line was their first and second generation mobile decoders, which unfortunately found their way into Athearn Genesis locos.

I've still got my original MRC Ampack from 4th grade (1967?). I now probably own about 20 of the various units up through the Series-7 type acquired through the years. I've got two of the original DCC Command-2000s which were on the market before most model railroaders could spell DCC, so I can't be too hard on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've seen, MRC is the Gold Standard for DC power packs. I started out with their Tech II series, and ended up with their Command2000 walkarounds; they all served me well during my DC years. As for DCC, I think they are a late bloomer - but I've known people with Prodigy systems and they were all quite happy with them. O/T: Does anybody know if MRC systems are JMRI-compatible yet? If so, that's another plus.

Does anybody know if MRC systems are JMRI-compatible yet? If so, that's another plus.
From the JMRI web site:

"JMRI can connect to an MRC Prodigy Advanced[SUP]2[/SUP] command station via the USB Computer interface (MRC 1516 or Gaugemaster DCC55). This has been tested with the wired and wireless versions of the interface."

- Jeff

I am using digitrax mainly for the much more wide 3rd party connectivity, as far as decoders go I choose to match my project and study them all, including MRC. I bought one of their small decoders for one engine, that didnt seem to work out for me, but instead threw it into an HOn3 Brass Heisler, my first HON3 engine DCCed, works a charm. MRC has the best speakers, they are LOUD. Don't be jumpin all over MRC, i've had loksound decoders go bad on me, QSI decoders go bad...I sent in for replacements. So far I have not sent in any MRC decoders.

Back