How cluttered does your layout get ? ? ?

KevO

Has anybody got a dime ?
How cluttered do you let your layout get ? Ever since I started placing strutures, building wire frame mountain forms and adding more track I noticed I am losing prime workbench space. (I live in an upstairs apartment so real estate is in high demand.) This side of my Squirrel Valley Railway Company looks like this because I am building wire screen mountain shapes on the other side of the room. I stash 4 trains (two 10-12 car locals, one 8 car passenger train, one 25-30 car manifest) on that side of the room and did not realize how much real estate they take ! Since the wire form contours are working out nicely I have decided to let this side get alittle cluttered while the great hand from the sky shapes things.

My number one rules when shutting down my railroom at night is everything gets put back and the layout/floor gets vacuumed. Exception being BIG PROJECTS.

IMG_5872.jpg

KevO

and this is the side I'm currently working on. The 25-30 car train sits in the siding on top inside and the other 3 trains are stashed under it on various leads and a stub.

KevO

IMG_5878.jpg

I'm ashamed to say that my layout room has become dysfunctional and
remains an area yet to be re-claimed........:eek: :eek:

The good news is that I've got it on the "to do" list. :rolleyes:

That can be expected when your working on it all the time...We have to have just clean nights every so often just to pick up tools, supplies, scraps ect. You can see it in some of our pictures....a left over soda bottle, water bottle, tools ect., sometimes we don't see them till we look at the pictures later. It's good to clean and regroup night now and then, saves time for finding items. We want to have a rolling cart with the tools/supplies that we can put away easier at night.

Mine can get really cluttered, really fast, if I have to repair defective track. This is especially true if the problem track is a turnout.

The question I've dreaded ever since I signed on here! I've got piles of stuff lying all over the place, where there's open real estate other than buildings that are supposed to be there and the ROW. Other than that, open space is fair game to temporarily store locos and rolling stock....

Kennedy

Clutter

Talk about clutter , I'm in the middle of a major overhaul putting down track and ballast , streets and ground cover , trees . But my trainroom gets a bit cold so I'm a little bit behind so here's waht a mess can be !!!!

Click-->
th_93a9cc2c.jpg
Click-->
th_108-0838_IMG.jpg

I don't know but it'll be hard to beat mine. Do I win a prize or something?

Cheers Willis

I actually set about to clean mine up the other evening. I had alot of wiring stuff spools and tools laying about. I could actually do some photography now!

Hummm, I have three sheets of cardboard, a cup full of ballast, a paint brush, and an SD60M on my modules... No very bad...

*looks around the rest of the room* Ok, I'm not one to talk...

My computer desks have a total of 9 units, in various forms, a Gondola, and an incomplete Andersley Kits AP spine. The floor contains 5 scrap boxes, with peices sorted according to size, and usability, a Mod-u-rail box with the left overs from my Modules, a PILE of Mod-u-rail foam, a cabinet with some more scrap in it, 6 palm trees, 20+ vans (the 1:87 ones from Wally world), a pile of cardboard scrap, and lastly some train magazines. Oh and a $900 camera, next to a $400 video camera...

Food and Beverage ON the layout??? Now thats a LEVEL V rule violation and means for automatic termination ! If I have to bring in a drink it goes underneath the layout in a safe and secure location. I don't ever bring in food. I use the excuse to eat as a time out to leave the railroom then regroup and rethink projects in progress.

But you know how it is.....I've been fired a couple of times !

KevO

Well CBCNSfan wins by far, looks like you could use a rotory snow plow, you got my vote ,what do you win?

I have the downstairs refridgerator next to the layout, so there never needs to be drinks on the layout. Take a big gulp of whatever, and put it back inside.

If we're talking about a hot beverage, the coffeemaker is on some cabinetry on the other side of the layout....

Kennedy

How cluttered do you let your layout get ? Ever since I started placing strutures, building wire frame mountain forms and adding more track I noticed I am losing prime workbench space. (I live in an upstairs apartment so real estate is in high demand.) This side of my Squirrel Valley Railway Company looks like this because I am building wire screen mountain shapes on the other side of the room. I stash 4 trains (two 10-12 car locals, one 8 car passenger train, one 25-30 car manifest) on that side of the room and did not realize how much real estate they take ! Since the wire form contours are working out nicely I have decided to let this side get alittle cluttered while the great hand from the sky shapes things.

My number one rules when shutting down my railroom at night is everything gets put back and the layout/floor gets vacuumed. Exception being BIG PROJECTS.

IMG_5872.jpg

KevO

There appears to have been a small accident in your intermodal yard...

I have a 20x24 foot layout in a 24x32 foot room over my 3 car garage and the clutter can kill the fun. All my track is laid and functioning. We are wiring the turnouts and building control panels. Most of the mountains are done with the exception of the trees and ground cover. and I have started placing buildings in some sections. I clean and move just about everything once a week. I have found that I put my project stuff in different totes. One for wiring, one for plastering, etc. and label them accordingly and they store nicely with the christmas decorations under the layout. I also have one of those cheap 3 drawer plastic roll around carts like used in the kitchen/laundry. If you have room is nice to toss the tools and various solder guns and glue guns in and drag it around with you.

Back