How about some diecast "toys"

C

catt

While I am currently not doing much HO modeling I thought I might post a few pics of some of my modified Match Box,. Hot Wheels and Majorette HO sized trucks.I will start off with the least altered version just to show what can be done with one.The only changes to this Match Box Ford are wheels and tires and a little paint work.

fordute1.jpg

That bucket truck looks dang good! Amazing how much new wheels and tires can change the look of a Matchbox! Looking forward to seeing the others you have done!

10313950_677931208920599_737662815404965144_n.jpg10374854_677931002253953_3827783572185330019_n (2).jpg
That truck looks great. Its amazing how something as simple as a wheel swap can change a "toy" into something you wouldn't mind having on your layout. For a short time (and up until a couple years ago), Hot Wheels made a few 1/87 scale vehicles that were smaller versions of some of their regular 1/64 scale toys. I bought a few. The 1970 Dodge Challenger RT, the 1964 Ford Galaxie, and the 1970 Plymouth Superbird. I removed the typical over size toy like wheels and replaced them with wheels from the Model Power 1/87 scale 1970 Plymouth Cuda. Those wheels appeared to be after market Torque Thrust wheels by American Racing and would look appropriate on any 40's to 70's car. In the case of the Galaxie, I had to glue the wheels in place. I also painted bumpers and grilles silver, and used a Sharpie marker to make red tail lights, and suddenly, these Hot Wheels toys look more like the 1/87 scale diecast vehicles from Model Power.
In the gas station photo, the purple Challenger and the yellow Superbird are by Hot Wheels, while the red Cuda is by Model Power. In the photo of Arnold's diner, the Hot Wheels 64 Galaxie is the maroon metallic hardtop.

Some more of my "toys"Most of these need refreshing after having sat in a drawer for the last 8 to 10 years.First up is a Majorette cab on a shortened Athearn frame.

blutruk1.jpg

Matchbox Ford Ute cab on shortened Athearn chassis.

brnford1.jpg

Can't remember if this is a Hot Wheels or Matchbox,but the original truck was a pick up.Un altered Athearn chassis for this one.

chebby2.jpg

Matchbox ? Hot Wheels on the left ,Majorettes on the right.Athearn chassis again.

chebys.jpg

This is the yellow Chevy in the post above this one.It is now a dark blue and is in the Q waiting more work and maybe yet another paint job.Promo Tex wheels and tires Athearn 3 axle frame and a Hot Wheels Dump truck/snow plow cab.

ChevySemi.jpg

:cool:Fresh from the bottom of the drawer.These are all in need of refurbishing which they will get once I have my HO switching layout up and running.I have the Dodge version of that tow truck too.

MatchboxAerostar-1.jpg

MatchboxMack-2.jpg

HotWheelsFordCOE-1.jpg

HotWheelsFordTow-1.jpg

Johnathan,

I'm looking forward, with a great amount of interest, to seeing your refurbishment of these vehicles.

What is the second last truck, it looks like a tandem axle White Road Commander? Can you tell me who makes that model please as it is exactly what I am looking for, in terms of a chassis at least.

I am also considering 'building' a truck with the chassis config of the White, changing out the cab with a Mack, Scania, Volvo or Kenworth cab over. If I do that, would yu mind me asking you questions about the process for doing so? Or, how to turn a Prime Mover Cab over into a tandem axle Rigid?

Interesting thread. I'm curious as to how you remove the old wheels. Do you just cut the axles or drill out the attachments between the body and chassis? For thing's called 'Hot Wheels' it's funny how the wheels are what ruin them.

HotWheels is an old English toy vehicle brand usually Asian manufactured.Actually now Hot Wheels and Match Box are two brands owned by the same company.

About the wheel change I usually just drill out the posts the connect the body and chassis.Sometimes you need to modify the chassis to get them narrow enough to fit the wheels and tires inside the body line.

The trucks in the first post have either a stock or modified Athearn frame.The Ford Utility truck simply has a wheel/tire change with some detail painting on the body.I have more trucks to post but I really do need to dig them out of the drawer.:cool:

In my last post the Blue Ford Aeromax ,The red Mack,and the Ford tow truck all have the original chassis.The blue Ford COE (one of many versions that Hot Wheels has done) a lengthened stock chassis easy to do with strip styrene and CA.

Last edited by a moderator:
HotWheels is an old English toy vehicle brand.The company is now US owned and usually Asian manufactured.Actually now Hot Wheels and Match Box are two brands owned by the same company.

About the wheel change I usually just drill out the posts the connect the body and chassis.Sometimes you need to modify the chassis to get them narrow enough to fit the wheels and tires inside the body line.

The trucks in the first post have either a stock or modified Athearn frame.The Ford Utility truck simply has a wheel/tire change with some detail painting on the body.I have more trucks to post but I really do need to dig them out of the drawer.:cool:

In my last post the Blue Ford Aeromax ,The red Mack,and the Ford tow truck all have the original chassis.The blue Ford COE (one of many versions that Hot Wheels has done) a lengthened stock chassis easy to do with strip styrene and CA.

Some more of my ragety old diecast this time two Malibu semi tractors .Both have had their sleepers remove and have been converted to day cabs,The red one also has a shortened frame ans scratchbuilt headache rack.I just noticed the brown one has lost a fuel tank.

Malibu-KW-1.jpg

Malibu-KW-2.jpg

Malibu-PB-1.jpg

Malibu-PB-2.jpg

Here is my Hotwheels Dodge tow truck. This one and the previously posted Ford towtruck are old enough that the still have "LESNEY" stamped on the bottom.There were two versions of this truck series with the other series having a separate plated grille and headlights.

Dodge-Tow_1.jpg

Dodge-Tow_2.jpg

This is a Ford cabover (don't remember by who) that is going to get a facelift and a few other changes.I had not realized that I never finished this one till I took these pics today.

Ford-Coe_1.jpg

Ford-Coe_2.jpg

Sorry looking old turd ain't it.Under that crappy blue paint job is a very nice casting for a toy.:)

One last vehicle.This is va Johnny Lightening "Partridge Family" bus.I stripped the gaudy paint and painted it Caterpillar yellow.Only real flaw in this casting is the front end is to wide,but this one will stay that way,The wheels and tires however are a different story.:)

J-L_Bus-1.jpg

J-L_Bus-2.jpg

If this thing was a plastic casting I would change out the front end in a heartbeat,but then the bus would not be in this thread.

The Hot Wheels Mack MC cab with the squad truck body and the Mack B cab pumper are virtually perfect for HO gauge "as is", and the Seagrave 70th Anniversary pumper is also very good for HO.

There's an earlier IH chassis pumper too, which is ok for modern day pikes; I have a couple I might take the body off of and swap to a Mack chassis. I really wish I could find these trucks-they aren't readily available where I live.

These five Matchbox trucks were sold as HO but in truth they are off dimentionally in several areas.Never the less they will look fine with some wheels and tires from the aftermarket and some paint detail work.(Imay go as far as grinding off those pitiful looking mirrors ).

The trucks are left to right IH Workstar dump trucks,Kenwoth T 800 container truck,Western Star tow truck and last but not least a Autocar refuse hauler.To myneyes they all look good but some scale wheels and tires and trim painting will take them from toys to layout models.

Matchbox-5.jpg

I also have a few of the Matchbox fire trucks.

Two more "projects to be". I like the red CXT because there are a couple of them here in Grand Rapids.The CXT will get HO scale chrome wheels,but not much else.The IH roll back will get different wheels and tire and some detail painting.Both will get etched mirrors.The CXT is a Matchbox #73 from 2006 if anyone is interested.

IH-CST-1.jpg

IH-Jerry-Dan-1.jpg

Yeah, I knew that,don't have a clue as to why I typed Hot Wheels.:eek:

Back