House scratch build

49fordv8f4

This house is an HO scale replica of my wife's Great Grandparents house. It was built in 1894 by my wife's Great Great Grandfather. It is about five miles from our house. My wife and I went and measured the house and took a lot of photos. It Is made from Evergreen styrene and has Tichy windows, doors and the small chimney. I made the large chimney from pink foam to match the dimensions of the prototype. Thank You!
Bearden 1.JPG
Bearden 2.JPG
Bearden 3.JPG
Bearden 4.JPG
Bearden 5.JPG
Bearden 6.JPG

This house is an HO scale replica of my wife's Great Grandparents house. It was built in 1894 by my wife's Great Great Grandfather. It is about five miles from our house. My wife and I went and measured the house and took a lot of photos. It Is made from Evergreen styrene and has Tichy windows, doors and the small chimney. I made the large chimney from pink foam to match the dimensions of the prototype. Thank You!
View attachment 164508View attachment 164509View attachment 164510View attachment 164511View attachment 164512View attachment 164513
That's really well done, great build you have.

I think scratch building is my favorite aspect of the hobby. I haven't done any weathering on this model yet. I will probably use some pastel chalks on the walls, porch and foundation. I will not rust the tin roof as her Grandparents kept the house up very well, but I will probably add some pastel chalk "dirt" to the roof though. The house is in terrible shape now which is very sad to see.

View attachment 164508
That's some awesome scratch-building! 😍👍

And that's the exact same way I do small windows in virtually all my structures, too - simply black them out. Of course, you can't do that if you plan on lighting or detailing the interior, but in my case, I don't hardly do this on any of my structures either. :)👍

That's some awesome scratch-building! 😍👍

And that's the exact same way I do small windows in virtually all my structures, too - simply black them out. Of course, you can't do that if you plan on lighting or detailing the interior, but in my case, I don't hardly do this on any of my structures either. :)👍
Thank You! I just have an X of black construction paper on the inside. I don't plan to add lighting to any of my structures either. Thanks again.

As has already been said: Fine work. I appreciate the windows, where the center (vertical) muntion has been removed...and without evidence of clipping it off. Not sure, on that basis alone if your upper square windows have even been cut down by half too. Either way, bravo.

Also appreciate the rubber sealant joining the base of the chimneys and the roof. Not sure if it dates from the time the house was built or not (it was asphalt goop back then, of course) or if it's "Flex Seal"... ;D...but it's a really good model.

Re, the turned post detail: Are they square posts with a turned (filed) center section? I ask because I modeled something similar way back in the day....

Last edited:
I think scratch building is my favorite aspect of the hobby. I haven't done any weathering on this model yet. I will probably use some pastel chalks on the walls, porch and foundation. I will not rust the tin roof as her Grandparents kept the house up very well, but I will probably add some pastel chalk "dirt" to the roof though. "The house is in terrible shape now which is very sad to see."
"The house is in terrible shape now which is very sad to see."
----------
Oh, I get it. I can't keep up with mom's house, or at least her lot, which is breaking down limb by limb these days. Bad left leg, and so climbing a ladder is a risk. So I recently bought a rope saw. Wish me luck. If I can get them cut from the top, I can get them cut up once they are at ground level. Chainsaw.
----

As far as the building and the outbuildings, just call all of it "advanced weathering." Yours and mine both. :D

Last edited:
As has already been said: Fine work. I appreciate the windows, where the center (vertical) muntion has been removed...and without evidence of clipping it off. Not sure, on that basis alone if your upper square windows have even been cut down by half too. Either way, bravo.

Also appreciate the rubber sealant joining the base of the chimneys and the roof. Not sure if it dates from the time the house was built or not (it was asphalt back then, of course) or if it's "Flex Seal"... ;D...but it's a really good model.

Re, the turned post detail: Are they square posts with a turned (filed) center section? I ask because I modeled something similar way back in the day....
Thank You! The large windows are Tichy #8062 2/2 double hung window. I did cut the vertical mullion from those. The small windows are Tichy #8067 work car windows. The window frame and window are separate pieces, I just used the frame to look like a one piece window. I used flat black acrylic paint around the chimneys to simulate asphalt sealer. Thanks again.

The porch posts are .080 square styrene. I made a jig so that I could cut a bevel on the four corners with a chisel. They are a close duplicate of the prototypes, as close as I could get anyways😃.

Last edited:
Re, my post #13: "Muntions." Munchkins. Or even mullions. Meh!

I think I might have been reading an article about the Russians running short of MUNITIONS in Ukraine when I typed that one. Perhaps aided by a mix of tea and vodka.

At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Last edited:
Thank You! The large windows are Tichy #8062 2/2 double hung window. I did cut the vertical mullion from those. The small windows are Tichy #8067 work car windows. The window frame and window are separate pieces, I just used the frame to look like a one piece window. I used flat black acrylic paint around the chimneys to simulate asphalt sealer. Thanks again.

The porch posts are .080 square styrene. I made a jig so that I could cut a bevel on the four corners with a chisel. They are a close duplicate of the prototypes, as close as I could get anyways😃.
Jigs are always a good idea, yep. I did not use one when I made up a couple of roof under eave trims many years back, but there were only two.

There is, of course, a proper name for them, but I will not hazard a even a guess after more'n thirty years, lest I look stupid twice (or more?) in the same thread. :p

Back