Hospital Stay

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
Hi Everyone,
For all the people that have tried to contact me & got no answer, I just got out of the hospital today after a 4 day stay. Had a bad case of food poisoning that I got at a local McDonalds. It took 24 hrs. for me to get well enough to get to the ER for treatment. This is my 4th time & the 2nd worse for food poison. While I was in there I had a fluke heart problem that scared the heck out of me & the floor nurse one morning about 2am. Now, that's another problem that I've got to deal w/in my Golden Years. Anyway, I answered a few late PM's & the rest I will answer later.
Thanks for your Patience.

Larry:D

Dang Larry, glad you are alright now.
Funny how they say "Golden years" at the time our pipes begin to leak and rust. :D

Good to hear you are feeling better Larry. Hope you fully recover, and get back to your layout soon.

Rotor

Glad to hear things are headed in a better direction. Maybe you'll be able to sue McDonalds for enough to put together a big collection of brass or something.:D

Food poisoning is not a pleasant experience, and it can be fatal. I am happy to learn that you are bouncing back, but very unhappy about the place you contracted the condition. They should be investigated IMO.

My Doctor told me I would have a very hard time proving that I got poisoned from a McDonalds unless other people had the same sickness on the same day. The 1st time I got it was in 1957 in the Navy on the base in Argentia, Newfoundland. about 90 guys were sick for about a week from the celery in Chop Suey. Because I went back for seconds I was in a coma for about 3 weeks & went from 160 #'s to about 120 #'s. That lesson made the Navy change the way they fed their men & women on all bases & ships.
They installed signs all over the kitchens that said; "If in Doubt, Throw it Out". I don't think they ever had that problem again. When the chowhall was investagated they found the celery had been left in a hot kitchen overnite laying on the counter. The sailor wasn't sure if it was good or not, so he threw it in the pot. The other 2 times were in new hamburger joints in Miami, Fl. in the 60's where meat had been left laying out overnite. Both of those places were closed before they ever opened because 100's of people got sick besides me. Food is scary.
It's going to take me about a week to get over this completely & still have about 5 more hosp. test's to do before it's all over, plus another Stress Test. I'm going to approach McDonalds about what happened & see what they say, which I'm sure is nothing. I'll let you know what becomes of it. Thanks everyone for your get well wishes.

Glad to hear you're all right Larry, hope the ticker problem works out!
Personally, I never eat at McDonalds but now have another reason not to.

What food item from the golden arches made you sick? I hope it wasn't a mcchicken those are the best. It is always the wendys chili that puts me under for a few days. But im just a kid

Good to have you back Larry. Food poisoning can be rough. I've had two cases of it myself, both from fast food places that I now avoid like the plague. Several things I've had that you want to stay far away from are blood poisoning, red lead poisoning, meningitis and several staph infections. I had a case of MRSA, the resistant staph some years ago and almost didn't make it. That will definitely scare you.

What food item from the golden arches made you sick? I hope it wasn't a mcchicken those are the best.
That's one of the places I avoid.

Jeez Larry you sure had your share of those problems, glad you're OK now. That stuff served in those fast food places is not fit to eat anyway. I got it twice many years ago, stopped at an A&W bought some cubby chicken (now I know why it was chubby) anyway never bought it again, The last was a burger from the Dairy Queen, haven't bought there since either.
Cheers
Willis

Plain 99 cent CheeseBurger. My Restaurant list in this small town is getting smaller & smaller all the time. There's a bunch of Mom & Pop places here, but, they are really dirty. I use to eat at the Subway at least 3 times a week when I worked at WM & at Wendy's the other 2 days. Stopped eating at Wendys about a month before I quit WM. Got sicker than crap on Cold Chicken Nuggets.
About 3 months ago I started getting stale bread at Subway every time I got a footlong.
I complained to the owner & he didn't seem to care. So, I emailed corporate & they sent me a stack of free coupons for sandwiches & drinks. This Franchise wouldn't accept Corp. coupons, so, I sent them back to corp. headquarters & told them I wasn't eating at anymore Subways. That was the last time I heard anything from them. Lately a ton of my friends have told me the Subway was to dirty & they didn't go there anymore. Now, when I go by there at lunch there's no one in the parking lot at Subway or Wendy's or Sonic. Oh Well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Food poisoning can be real scarry. I once got salmanella from old eggs. I bought them without looking at the date and ate some a week later and got very sick. I checked the date and they were a month out of date, apparently either "freshly rotated" so i got that bad carton, or never rotated at all.
the Doctor said I was very lucky.
I now check all egg dates fanatically and look for the farthest date from the date of purcase and WILL NOT eat any eggs that have reached or passed that "sell by date".
I learned on TV that eggs can be still considered fresh for up to 45 days from laying with adequate refrigeration, I think it is. It depends on how long it takes them to get to market as the days of goodness dwindle before you purchase them.
I will not purchase any eggs that are not at least 3 weeks formthe purchasing date and try to use them up a week before the sell by date.
I will not eat aat any place that I deem "dirty", and watch to see how freshly made my meal is made at faster-food places. I will take heat-lamp warmed fries or anything, I'd rather wait and insist on a fresh hot batch.
Congratulations on your survival of such, Larry!

Larry - Glad to hear you're doing OK. Stomach problems are awful and a heart attack just for god measure! Hang in there buddy, you've got too many ideas to work with in that head of yours to be sick.

Good to have you back Larry. Food poisoning can be rough. I've had two cases of it myself, both from fast food places that I now avoid like the plague. Several things I've had that you want to stay far away from are blood poisoning, red lead poisoning, meningitis and several staph infections. I had a case of MRSA, the resistant staph some years ago and almost didn't make it. That will definitely scare you.

That's one of the places I avoid.

Everytime I have a doctors appt. I see people sitting in the Drip room getting their IV's for MRSA. It's going around again in a lot of hospitals. When I had surgery in Jan. they checked me 3 or 4 times a day for MRSA. I know a lot of people get it in Public Hospitals. I've had my share of small problems over the years & I don't need any new ones at my age. I want to live to be a sickness free 103. Only got 30 years to go.:eek::eek::eek:

Glad to see you survived the scare. It might be possible that the heart problem could have been a result of the infection. Even an abcessed tooth can cause heart problems and kill you.
A big trend with hospitals now is conversion over to single patient rooms. The 2 patient rooms are being phased out by many. The reason is that insurance companies will not cover infections acquired while in the hospital.

...Even an abcessed tooth can cause heart problems and kill you...

That is why I had to have all mine removed. Even with meticulous oral care, because I didn't have a functioning immune system, I seemed to keep an abscessed tooth, or teeth for months at a time. The heart is generally the first or second place that an oral infection will spread to.

I decided that I didn't want to wake up one morning, and find myself on a heart transplant list! Plus the fact that I have MRSA. That was discovered when I developed an abscess on my left foot, and 14 operations on it later, they finally beat that round. There was 2 others I don't want to remember. Central venous lines are something I don't want ever again.

I hope you feel better soon. If you arent getting anywhere with these poorly ran fast food joints. Call your local news station hotline and tell them, they would likely be happy to hear what you have to say. You might think it doesnt work but it just might. I havent been in a position to call but you never know.

Back