Hopefully a new room.

NZRMac

In Training Down Under.
Found another Fab house, we've signed up to purchase subject to us selling of course.

My hobby room is indoors built into the garage, fully lined and has underfloor heating!!!

It's 93" X 172" (2.36m X 4.37m )

You guys had a stab at a layout for Bob so how about one for me

HO scale
round the walls
staging underneath
coal-mine would be cool
continuous running is a must
Two doors both swing in, so will need a swing down or gates (layout need to be narrow shelving across doors)
would like to use my old bridge too (55" long)

Ken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck on your new train room and the house that comes with it OH buy the way JUST HOW LONG IS THAT BRIDGE?

It a long bridge all right 55" long, an old Hornby bridge that I want to reuse.

Ken.

Ken NZRMac O.K.! ( sharping my pencils!!)
BTW are there coal mines in New Zealand? If so are there websites about them...

Jos

New lift gate

Hi Ken
I have a new lift gate design for you. You said your going to need two. The trouble with lift gates is the rails at the hinged end seem to clip the running rails as you lift the gate. That why some people use swing gates or design one like I built where the rails at the end rotate down instead of up. Last week at Springfield's Big E Model Railroad show I seen a nice gate that sloved this problem. I even asked if I could try it. On this gate the hinges were on the top of the gate and elevated 1/2 inch. The elevation of the hinges solves the problem. It worked pecfectly and looks much easier to build than my gate.

NYC_George

Hi Ken
I have a new lift gate design for you. You said your going to need two. The trouble with lift gates is the rails at the hinged end seem to clip the running rails as you lift the gate. That why some people use swing gates or design one like I built where the rails at the end rotate down instead of up. Last week at Springfield's Big E Model Railroad show I seen a nice gate that sloved this problem. I even asked if I could try it. On this gate the hinges were on the top of the gate and elevated 1/2 inch. The elevation of the hinges solves the problem. It worked pecfectly and looks much easier to build than my gate.

NYC_George

Sounds like a good idea, lots to think about!! Thanks for the tip

Ken.

Good luck on the move, Ken.

Are you planning a N&W theme for the new layout?

Unless I paint all my coal hoppers!! NOT:eek:

I'd be happy to have a roundy roundy layout at this stage anything will do:p

A coal mine and a port would work for me.

Ken.

How about an abNormal scale port as a background, maybe behind a small embankment, N scale structures to give the illusion of distance, just a thought

How about an abNormal scale port as a background, maybe behind a small embankment, N scale structures to give the illusion of distance, just a thought

Steve I thought about doing the whole thing abNormal scale, then use my HO sound loco's as underbench sound programmed to the same address as the N loco running on the layout. But it's alot of money to invest in N when I have alot of Horribly Oversized.

Thanks for the Thoughts KenL

Ken.

Good luck, Ken. I hope this works out well for you and you can get moved and back up and running ASAP!

first efforts for the plan

Hello Ken, Here is a picture of the drawing I made last week.
The room isn't small but the 2 doors!!!!:mad:
Because of them the tracks have to be designed in curves( and I "want" them not to small) so there is not much room for a real yard so I decided for only a coalmine with a small yard, an engine house and a small platform( for the miners )
There is continuous running and staging under the Mine.
Yet, the bridge, is still not in the designplan...But there has/must be a place fot it!!( on the left side of the room )
Before I go further I show you the results till now....
Please have comment on this. You must have some;) ...

Jos

BTWThe swinggates before the doors are still to wide but that can be modificate

Ken,

I totally missed this post.

Jos,

I'm curious what Ken has to say. This is a very specialized layout.

Ken,

I saw the comments about N-scale. Given the layout you are giving up, N-might be a good compromise. When I started my new layout, I found that I had accumulated a lot of train stuff I was never going to use. So far using eBay, it has funded my new layout. Anyway, I think you might enjoy the prospect of rethinking everything smaller and grander. Let your mind go for a second.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mate just got some nice n scale sound equiped loco's from precision craft models, they are very good considering the tiny space the sound comes from

We here at the MadCoW.........

snortingbull.png

Are pulling for you!!!

Good luck Ken!!! Hope to see things work out for you and your family.

Johnny

Hello Ken, Here is a picture of the drawing I made last week.
The room isn't small but the 2 doors!!!!:mad:
Because of them the tracks have to be designed in curves( and I "want" them not to small) so there is not much room for a real yard so I decided for only a coalmine with a small yard, an engine house and a small platform( for the miners )
There is continuous running and staging under the Mine.
Yet, the bridge, is still not in the designplan...But there has/must be a place fot it!!( on the left side of the room )
Before I go further I show you the results till now....
Please have comment on this. You must have some;) ...

Jos

BTWThe swinggates before the doors are still to wide but that can be modificate

I really don't know what to say!! WOW:D looks really good Jos.

The green track goes around twice to get down to staging? and the black track that disappears is up to the coal mine on the drawing.

It's three levels!!! Crikey that'll take careful measuring:eek:

Maybe a port area off the green track at the other end of the room? on a lower level.

Man I hope we get this house so I can build this and not have wasted your time.

I love it so far, Ken.

Back